Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a lot of money involved in forming some kind of European league. I'm guessing the World Cup every 2 years would be a payoff to FIFA for going along with the formation of the European league. (Who gets the money from the WC?)

I don't have a dog in the hunt, so it's only a point of casual interest to me.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• The USA do get to play in the World Cup...
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

• 2 years, 4 years. Makes no difference to me. I think we're rather more willing to move things around for the WC.

The thing that's inconvenient for the 2 year is that MLS plays spring-summer-fall and each club plays short a player or three when the WC is played. On the other hand, the US would get to host the WC more often, and the US throws a great, lucrative WC.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Don't you get excited about the world cup though?

There are only 4 days until kick off... I have basically been planning every evening in June so I can maximise my viewing time. (much to my girlfriend's joy)
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

• I expect that some of the people who make a lot of money out of the WC would say "we should do this more often" but I can't see it happening.

Comment

• To be honest, I get only marginally excited about the WC. Soccer's my 4th favorite spectator sport (college football, baseball, basketball, soccer) and I would just as soon we focus on building up the domestic leagues. To the extent that the WC helps in that regard, I'm happy.

Anyway, it's about like the olympics. Every 4 years makes each one terribly important.

Comment

• If it does happen more, it wouldn't be as big either.

Exibit 1."much to my girlfriend's joy".

She'll put up with it every four years and heck, might even join in, not so every year. I really doubt Mike would even (allowed) contemplate "planning" everything in june.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH
                  I hope he does the dance every time, it's awesome!
                  I don't think it's awesome, I think it's bloody ridiculous, but I won't mind it if he bangs in the goals.

As crap goes, it's up there alongside baby-rocking, Shearer's taxi-hailing, and especially the congas and canoes that cheesy lower league teams do for the cameras when Darren Nobody bundles the ball over the line.

Comment

• Shearer's taxi-hailing

Never heard that before, best thing all day.
                    That one's gonna linger all evening.

Anyway, it's about like the olympics. Every 4 years makes each one terribly important.

Yup.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus

I don't think it's awesome, I think it's bloody ridiculous, but I won't mind it if he bangs in the goals.

As crap goes, it's up there alongside baby-rocking, Shearer's taxi-hailing, and especially the congas and canoes that cheesy lower league teams do for the cameras when Darren Nobody bundles the ball over the line.
                      Unfortunately being mainly constrained to defensive duties I didn't score in the park on Sunday so I couldn't bust out the robot... my friend Ross was thinking about doing the robot when he scored and he reckons it was that that distracted him and sent his towering header crashing wide.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

• What did Shearer do?
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Shearer "hailing a taxi"

We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus
                            I expect that some of the people who make a lot of money out of the WC would say "we should do this more often" but I can't see it happening.
                            Who are these people? Who gets paid?

I think they should move quickly to 40 teams. 5 teams per group. 4 games in the first round. It would put a premium on good infrastructure of the host countries, but would bring in more fans to the cup as viewers and visitors.

Comment

• The world cup doesn't need to expand. It is already watched by people in practically every country in the world. A cumulative 28.8 billion in 2002, in 213 countries. Over 1.1 billion people watched the final.

It's the biggest sporting event on the planet dwarfing the Olympics which is the second biggest (cumulative 3.7 billion in 220 countries).
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

• 96+ hours of footie. My girlfriend will kill me!!!

edit:
                                (She just walked past the screen. She promised she won't kill me. Just ditch me or get another lover for the duration)

Comment

Working...
                                X