Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by duke o' york

One of the how many best stadia in the country? 25?
    It is fourth best according to this national survey:

1. Old Trafford (Manchester Utd)
    2. City of Manchester Arena (Manchester City)
    3. St. James' Park (Newcastle)
    4. Madjeski Stadium (Reading)
    5. Reebok Stadium (Bolton)
    6. Stadium of Light (Sunderland)
    7. Stamford Bridge (Chelsea)
    8. Pride Park (Derby)
    9. KC Stadium (Hull)
    10. Villa Park (Aston Villa)
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

• That survey also reveals it has the best club shop, the most toilets, and the most overpriced food.
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

• I wonder how many fans were in that survey? It says things like "62% of fans think blah blah" when it should say "62% of respondants think ...".

Anyway, how many people travel to Hull?

Comment

• I agree that your version is correct but EVERYONE who produces statistics uses that kind of language incorrectly.

What's notable about that is that when it comes to fan's favourites (above) Reading is 4th, it's not like any neutral has a romantic memory of an away game at Reading...

When it comes to "which stadia were the best across a range of criteria from comfort, food quality to ease of access" Reading is still 4th.

That list:

KC Stadium (Hull)
          Stadium of Light (Sunderland)
          Pride Park (Derby)
          Madejski (Reading)
          St Mary's (Southampton)
          Highbury (Arsenal)

You lot have obviously never been, but all travelling supporters say how great a stadium it is. And it's the reason why, as well as Reading and London Irish it's hosting England U21 internationals, the recent B international, two Rugby European Challenge Cup finals. etc. etc. etc.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

• Yeah, but the Reebok is an absolute dump to watch a game in - even worse than the Stade de France.
            But it can't be based on architectural merit because St James Park is on the list.

Comment

• Gotta love Mikes new found pride in Reading FC....;O)

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH

Premiership football, one of the best stadiums in the country, 30 minutes from London. There are much worse 'small' teams to play for.
                I'm sure an international player would be looking at a place slightly larger in reputation than Reading. As much as I love the club, it's not exactly huge nationally let alone internationally where it's barely heard of.

Comment

• You lot have obviously never been, but all travelling supporters say how great a stadium it is. And it's the reason why, as well as Reading and London Irish it's hosting England U21 internationals, the recent B international, two Rugby European Challenge Cup finals. etc. etc. etc.
                  The sightlines are good but getting in and out was a dog until the dual carriageway extension was finished and even then it was a bugger getting off the M4 or going through town (but then I was going from Tilehurst which probably wasn't the easiest).

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever
                    Gotta love Mikes new found pride in Reading FC....;O)
                    USA! USA!

Two US nationals on the squad. I gotta love that .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Arsenal is in a bit of trouble.

Fifa has launched a probe into whether Arsenal have broken regulations which may leave the club exposed to possible expulsion from the Champions League.

BBC Newsnight has learnt that a police probe in Belgium has concluded Arsenal made secret payments of £1m to Beveren.

Arsenal have admitted providing a loan to Beveren, but say they have never had a controlling influence over the club.

Fifa is investigating whether Arsenal have breached rules governing fair play and conflict of interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kalius

The sightlines are good but getting in and out was a dog until the dual carriageway extension was finished and even then it was a bugger getting off the M4 or going through town (but then I was going from Tilehurst which probably wasn't the easiest).
                        That junction/road can be bad but why on earth would you drive to the stadium if you live in Tilehurst? Get the mighty 17 into town (or even a train) and take the bus from the station. Same price as parking and no hassle! Normally I get the bus there and just walk back into town after a game. Takes about 35 minutes at a brisk pace.

I like it because you can see the whole pitch from every seat I've ever sat in (and I've sat all over) there's good legroom (you don't have to stand up to let someone walk past) and a nice steep camber so even sitting behind a tall bloke you can see fine.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

• That junction/road can be bad but why on earth would you drive to the stadium if you live in Tilehurst? Get the mighty 17 into town (or even a train) and take the bus from the station. Same price as parking and no hassle! Normally I get the bus there and just walk back into town after a game. Takes about 35 minutes at a brisk pace.

I like it because you can see the whole pitch from every seat I've ever sat in (and I've sat all over) there's good legroom (you don't have to stand up to let someone walk past) and a nice steep camber so even sitting behind a tall bloke you can see fine.
                          Oh I used to live about a 5 minute walk from the Bear Inn so I did in the end get the 17 to town and then the bus. Having said that I did arrive late to a lot of games (incidentally the first I heard of Sept 11th was standing outside the ground waiting to get into the West Ham game and there was the moment's silence).

Comment

• what a game!
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• After the way Crouchinho The Robot destroyed the mighty Jamaica I think we can have every confidence for the world cup.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

• sure mate, why do you guys keep torturing yourselves like that every four years?!

Give it up already!
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X