Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...pe/4763239.stm

Major bribery scandal in Belgium, another scandal in Germany and now this. Is professional football in Europe steadily sliding into crisis?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• It's nothing particularly new. Consider the 90s with the match rigging claims in the Premiership or the stripping of the European title from Olympic Marseilles for bribery.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• And we always figured the top tier teams in Italy were controlling who refs where.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Fixing games by another means is still fixing games.

Comment

• I'm not saying its not bad, but that scandals like this will come round in waves every few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              And we always figured the top tier teams in Italy were controlling who refs where.
              A mate is an Inter fan and he was telling me earlier this year that Juve were fixing the refs, and that was why they've dominated in Italy recently. I thought it might have been sour grapes from Inter but it seems not.

Comment

• - and speaking of sour grapes ....

(although this is old, it now seems that it wasn't food poisoning after all, and a virus was to blame. The Marriot Hotel group might even want to sue THFC for defamation. )
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  A mate is an Inter fan and he was telling me earlier this year that Juve were fixing the refs, and that was why they've dominated in Italy recently. I thought it might have been sour grapes from Inter but it seems not.
                  In "How Soccer Explains the World" by Foer there is a nice chapter on the influence the big squads have in the Serie A.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• To Alan Shearer! Pure class!

And they raised a lot of cash for charity as well by this event!

Comment

• RTS.ch | Le site de la Radio Télévision Suisse francophone RTS 1, RTS 2, RTS Première, RTS Espace 2, RTS Couleur 3 et RTS Option Musique | Accédez à toutes vos émissions radio et TV, informez-vous grâce à nos portails d'information et de sport, participez à nos concours et consultez nos programmes TV et radio.

game of the season 2005 - 2006, click on the first video.

servette fc (3 div) vs. fc thoune (1 div, champions league group round) in geneva.
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Interesting news... Sheva says he doesn't want to be at AC Milan next season.

Rumor is that Chelsea may come calling.

In other news, WELCOME Toronto as the 13th team in the MLS (owned by the company that owns the Raptors of the NBA and Maple Leafs of the NHL)!

Teh Logo:

Comment

• So the MLS becomes another NHL then.

Comment

• I don't follow.

Comment

• That logo is... uninteresting.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• tee hee OG
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X