Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with these Mac and PC ads from Apple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with these Mac and PC ads from Apple?

be free

Basic branding, mostly appealing to their existing client base. I would guess they are trying to solidify their support base in light of the changeover in shipsets. I think they're pretty amusing, especially the one where the PC isn't feeling well.
    "I think I caught that virus that's going around." (uses tissue)
    "I've gotta crash now." (falls to floor)

The Mac guy used to play a nerdy high school kid on the TV show "Ed."
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Justin Long. He's also in Dodgeball, among others.

The other guy is John Hodgeman, of The Areas of My Expertise" and the Daily Show. His friend, John Coulton, as an amusing cover of Baby Got Back.

Even if the most of the points are moot/bunk/bs/silly, the ads are somewhat amusing.

...but surely they could have found a more attractive Asian?
      B♭3

Comment

I can't get past the "zmog, almost all the worms & viruses are written to attack PCs!" bit, which is of course misleading. There are a ****load more PCs than Macs, so of course the *******s who write viruses and worms would go after PCs. It's basically just trumpeting that Macs are insignificant.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It's called spin.

Not to mention that "Plug and Play" with non-first party hardware manufacturers appeared with Microsoft and Windows before it ever did on Apple...

Oh, and the fact that a friend tried to plug his Windows-formatted iPod and couldn't read it on his girlfriend's Apple machine...
          B♭3

Comment

My firefox crashed on the second the bloody quicktime started to play. Why cant they include "click here to play" to their crappy software...
            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Because QuickTime sucks? Maybe if you used Safari, you wouldn't have this problem. Putz. Go buy an iPod! NOW.

Too bad it's not Flash. Flash Video is probably the single best use of Flash I've seen in ages.
              B♭3

Comment

yes and yes.
                Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  I can't get past the "zmog, almost all the worms & viruses are written to attack PCs!" bit, which is of course misleading. There are a ****load more PCs than Macs, so of course the *******s who write viruses and worms would go after PCs. It's basically just trumpeting that Macs are insignificant.

-Arrian
                  And you add yourself to the rampant speculators club.

Nobody really knows why there are no OS X viruses. There are certainly enough Apple haters out there to create one, and the kudos among such people for being the first person to do it would be worth the effort. That fact alone is enough to throw cold water on the "it must be numbers" theory.

All we've had are a couple of trojans that require you to consent to installing them. It's pretty hard to get things to install without consent on OS X.

Still, I hear the Vista trainwreck might be delayed yet again. What a ****ing joke.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed

Oh, and the fact that a friend tried to plug his Windows-formatted iPod and couldn't read it on his girlfriend's Apple machine...
                    You mean like it says in the instruction manual? Woe betide anyone who reads the instructions.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Oh, I know it's in the instruction manual. As is the warning that it gives when you plug your iPod into an empty iTunes library.

Does that make it a good design decision/good for the end user? **** no.

Does it work intuitively in that case? **** no.

Is it truly plug and play? **** no.

Thank you, come again.
                      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

And you add yourself to the rampant speculators club.

Nobody really knows why there are no OS X viruses. There are certainly enough Apple haters out there to create one, and the kudos among such people for being the first person to do it would be worth the effort. That fact alone is enough to throw cold water on the "it must be numbers" theory.

All we've had are a couple of trojans that require you to consent to installing them. It's pretty hard to get things to install without consent on OS X.

Still, I hear the Vista trainwreck might be delayed yet again. What a ****ing joke.
                        I don't care if there are Apple viruses or not, because in my ten years of fairly constant internet use, I have contracted one harmful virus that did anything negative on all of my many different PCs. The answer to viruses is not to get a Mac, but to use the internet intelligently.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                          Oh, I know it's in the instruction manual. As is the warning that it gives when you plug your iPod into an empty iTunes library.
                          What's wrong with that? Do you have a problem with plain English? No means no. Or are you the date rape type?

Does that make it a good design decision/good for the end user? **** no.

Does it work intuitively in that case? **** no.

Is it truly plug and play? **** no.

Thank you, come again.
                          In other words, does it not do what most users couldn't care less about, and does it do something that allows Apple to offer a music store along with it?

It's probably less hassle to format it for different computers. I guess I could buy a Powermac and plug my Windows formatted drive into it and see how far I get.

You really must do better. Usually your resistance is much stiffer than this. But please continue, for my amusement if nothing else...
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Yeah, who the **** gets viruses?
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't like them. They are at least trying to get good points across, like Office for Mac, and at least are trying to make sure everyone knows the connection between iPod and Apple/Mac, but...bleh.

Comment

Working...
                              X