Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with these Mac and PC ads from Apple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you two just playing some vicious joke on the rest of us?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Who, Ash and Me? Ash and Ag? Me and Ag?

No. I'm not playing a vicious joke at all. If I did want to play a vicious joke, I'd make a thread and titled it something akin to, "If one were to buy an iPod and it didn't work..."
      B♭3

Comment

I wonder if they've fixed the gripe I had that you didn't have a "Shuffle" inside of play lists.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No, that's still absent. AFAIK the only shuffle functionality is based on the whole library, which is somewhat retarded.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That's the way my 1GB Creative Nano works.

Of course, I paid about as much as I would have for a 512 MB iPod Shuffle, and I get a screen!
            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
              Who, Ash and Me? Ash and Ag? Me and Ag?

No. I'm not playing a vicious joke at all. If I did want to play a vicious joke, I'd make a thread and titled it something akin to, "If one were to buy an iPod and it didn't work..."
              Ag and Ash mostly. Asher seems to only post in threads where he knows he'll get to argue. Agathon seems to like to piss people off.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Little do you know that they're actually the same person--those photos that they've shown are actually gleaned from hotornot.com.
                B♭3

Comment

Quality problems with MacBook Pros continue to mount. Now they're recalling batteries: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2110

Currently, the MacBook Pro suffers from various issues such as an infamous whine, AirPort Wi-Fi connection issues, excessive heat, and other minor issues. While the issues do not affect all MacBook Pros, a quick look on Apple's discussion forums for the MacBook Pro reveals that a significant number of users are experiencing issues.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yes, but are you amused by the ads?
                    (Somehow I doubt it...)
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The ads sort of suck, actually. The fact that Macs are advertising by being the "cool" choice while representing PCs as "nerdy" is fairly sad...
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What bothers me about the ads is the suggestion that all PCs - computers that aren't Mac - are exactly the same and can be clumped together like that.

Comment

Actually, all they're suggesting is that Win machines aren't Macs. They can be lumped together in that sense.

This campaign is really just another riff on the us vs them mentality of the original 1984 "Revolution" ad. It's about appealing to a certain mentality. The "differentness" of the hardware and OS is just a lever.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The ads went from mildly amusing to completely inane, culminating in the WSJ ad.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed

Yes, the warning pops up. And yet, I keep hearing from all sorts of people that they've accidentally erased their entire collection.
                              Which they could get back by plugging it in again.

Anecdotal evidence, yes. But often enough that it raises an eyebrow.

Just one eyebrow.

Incidentally, I don't have to worry at all, because I have a Creative player.

If users could read simple English sentences, I guarantee that upwards of 85% of all Windows problems would not occur.
                              Then there's not much more manufacturers can do, if people will persist in not reading.

I guess you could have Applespeak say "Don't do it *******!", but that would be about it.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Which they could get back by plugging it in again.
                                Not if that was where they stored their music library. On the iPod. Because, I don't know, they just got a new computer because the old one's HD died. Or something.

Do you want to make the argument, "Well, they should have made backups then!"?

Because again, just because you do, does not mean that the majority of the computer/iPod using populace does. Just because I have never had trouble with my Windows/Linux/Mac computers, does not mean other people haven't.

Then there's not much more manufacturers can do, if people will persist in not reading.

I guess you could have Applespeak say "Don't do it *******!", but that would be about it.
                                Glad you agree on this point. Because really, you're admitting that most of Microsoft's and Windows's problems are not from the software, but because of the people not knowing what they're doing.

Most problems with machines occur between the chair and keyboard--unfortunately, most people like shifting the blame away from themselves.

I pity Windows for that very reason--it's such a big target, with a lot of it just being the fact that they're the biggest kid on the block. (Though, some of their practices and behaviors in the past certainly didn't help...)
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X