US National Anthem in Spanish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straybow
    Yeah, it's outrageous. It isn't fair that English is a non-Asiatic language. We should change it so English uses Sino-Tibetan characters instead of the Latin alphabet.
    Dude... There are no such things as Sino-Tibetan characters. You've got Chinese characters... which were then adapted into the language isolates of Korean and Japanese. Then you have native script for both of those languages, which are again, language isolates...

Then you have all the differing writing systems of SE Asia, many of the languages which don't fall under Sino-Tibetan...

And then there's the fact that Tibetan has its own writing system...

What I'm saying is this: if any immigrant wants to function here, it's utterly retarded for them to believe that learning English is not worth their time. It's the lingua fraca--I'm not asking them to be able to write vast tracts--I just want them to be able to communicate in more than just "yes" or "no".

Besides, with most other ethnic groups that did come before, y'know, the ones using Latin alphabets... they tended to learn English as well--they might not have been superbly proficient, but they adapted.

Why should this be any different?

Plus, why can't Asians just walk across the border, like hispanics do? The US should be forced to fill in the Bering Straits to allow foot traffic from Asia.
    Well, if Bush would abide by the Kyoto treaty and help with global cooling, we could have a natural solution to the bridging problem.
    B♭3

Comment

Hit wrong key
      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
        The difference is that they didn't come here to expand the influence of some German speaking culture or country. When they came from the Palatinate they first stopped in England to swear loyalty to the Crown before crossing to Philadelphia.
        And you think that is what modern immigrants are doing?

BUt if you must, heck, all is fair. The US took those lands form the Mexicans by force, now at least in your addled mind, the Mexicans are using "soft" power. Turn-about is fair game.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Ah, so now Kyoto would actually plunge the Earth into an ice age and lower sea levels by hundreds of feet?

As I understand it, "Sino-Tibetan" is the name for an entire language group, equivalent to "Indo-European" as a language group. I no more expect all S-T languages to use Chinese characters than all I-E languages to use the Latin alphabet.

This means we are being unfair to more than just Asians who wish to immigrate. We should change American English to use Cyrillic, Sanscrit, and Arabaic alphabets as well.
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            The US took those lands form the Mexicans by force . . .
            Hey, we left them with most of their country

Comment

Ok. If this all languages thing goes, I hope it's done by stanza or something. Not mixed all at one time.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                Ok. If this all languages thing goes, I hope it's done by stanza or something. Not mixed all at one time.
                How about round robin style, like row row your boat?
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  And you think that is what modern immigrants are doing?

BUt if you must, heck, all is fair. The US took those lands form the Mexicans by force, now at least in your addled mind, the Mexicans are using "soft" power. Turn-about is fair game.

If you've actually listened to what Fox is saying, yes, he wants Mexicans to move freely across the border, partake in the US medical, education, and welfare systems but remain Mexicans. And vote for him.

Comment

Working...
                  X