No announcement yet.

US National Anthem in Spanish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanglish for some reason that word cracks me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      And people whinning about this should be subject to hot pokers up the ass. Seeing as there is no official language in the US, suck it up.
      Q.F. f*ckin' T.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

yup, Olberman just had a clip of Bush singing the anthem in Spanish

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
          My first impression is that it was a half-*ssed attempt by someone who has a poor command of both languages. Morally equivalent to flag burning.
          Have you ever tried to translate a poem or song lyrics into a different language, tried to keep the meaning, and MAKE IT RHYME?? It is friggin' HARD!

I'm very impressed with the first two lines:

By the light of the dawn, do you see arising,
          what we proudly hailed at twilight's last fall?
          ...but the lines...

liberty, we are the same.
          We are brothers in our anthem.
          strike me as pure propaganda re amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Comment

And BTW, if you want to sing it absolutely properly:

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
            What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
            Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
            O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
            And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
            Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
            Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
            O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
            Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
            What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
            As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
            Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
            In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
            'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
            O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
            That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
            A home and a country should leave us no more!
            Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
            No refuge could save the hireling and slave
            From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
            And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
            Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
            Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
            Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
            Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
            And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
            And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

Comment

The melody sounds bad enough for one verse. Imagine having to listen to it four times over...

Comment

To be fair to the anthem, though, half the ****tiness comes from the fact that most people who sing it, can't.

Comment

To be fair to the poor people who have to sing it, it's a old drinking song. Only someone soused out of their mind can bound nimbly from the low notes to the high ones.

O're the laa'and of the FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    To be fair to the poor people who have to sing it, it's a old drinking song. Only someone soused out of their mind can bound nimbly from the low notes to the high ones.

O're the laa'and of the FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
                    Exactly. The song requires an octave-and-a-half range, whereas other songs ordinary people actually sing -- for example, Christmas carols and hymns, al well as the British and French national anthems -- demand an octave or less.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      Nah. They just need to have English in what would include roads, schools, and like that. Learn the language of the country you proclaim to be a citizen. That's just manners.
                      The US has no official language. Why would there be a language the Mexicans would have, to learn?
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                        The US has no official language.
                        That occasionally comes up in Washington.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Some of my ancestors arrived in America in 1717. One hundred years later some of them still spoke German. One aunt in Saltville, VA was described to be "dutch as kraut" in a letter c. 1820, apparently the last of the generation who spoke no English. My own great-g-g-g grandfather and Rev War vet spoke German and accented English.

The difference is that they didn't come here to expand the influence of some German speaking culture or country. When they came from the Palatinate they first stopped in England to swear loyalty to the Crown before crossing to Philadelphia.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

The US has no official language. Why would there be a language the Mexicans would have, to learn?
                            Because, to function, slants of all types have to learn basic English here.

Isn't it supposed to be somewhat egalitarian? Everyone has equal rights?

How is it equal that Asians cannot function, cannot be a part of this American nation without having to know some English, while many Latinos seem to be able to blend in just fine?
                            B♭3

Comment

Yeah, it's outrageous. It isn't fair that English is a non-Asiatic language. We should change it so English uses Sino-Tibetan characters instead of the Latin alphabet.

Plus, why can't Asians just walk across the border, like hispanics do? The US should be forced to fill in the Bering Straits to allow foot traffic from Asia.

(\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                                Yeah, it's outrageous. It isn't fair that English is a non-Asiatic language. We should change it so English uses Sino-Tibetan characters instead of the Latin alphabet.

Plus, why can't Asians just walk across the border, like hispanics do? The US should be forced to fill in the Bering Straits to allow foot traffic from Asia.

Well to be fair, there was that Congressman who wanted to build that b'jillion dollar bridge over the Bering Stait, but there was complaints that the project was a waste of money.

Comment

Working...
                                X