Resume Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short paragraphs seems like too many words
    As it is, it's not very readable, especially for The Cadet. A short paragraph describing what you did for it may be more persuasive than a list of titles. Plus, it uses more horizontal space and less vertical. I'd image that the right side of your resume is a sea of white.

Those skills seem a bit too general for a cover letter
    Those skills won't be acknowledged on their own. They want to see examples of this. So, for example, in the cover letter you say, "Displayed leadership doing such and such." Also, they detract from your measurable skills beneath them, like the software skills and languages. A reader might just skip over them after reading the first one or two.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

thank god, another resume without an objective. objectives on resumes are the stupidest thing and detract from actually getting to the meat n potatoes of the resume.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Oh right. Apoc, you're gonna need an objective.

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

When I look at CV's i don't necessarily like to see education first. I look at work exp first and in that line of thought, tell me what your achievements were, not the duties you performed. For example, at the xyz newspaper, raised circulation by x %...
          "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
          "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Originally posted by atomant
            When I look at CV's i don't necessarily like to see education first. I look at work exp first and in that line of thought, tell me what your achievements were, not the duties you performed. For example, at the xyz newspaper, raised circulation by x %...
            Good idea about achievements.

I might keep education first though...I am rather proud of my college.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I would keep education first, since it is all you have at this time

objectives on resumes are the stupidest thing and detract from actually getting to the meat n potatoes of the resume.
              that is incorrect

Link

I would add an "objective" section/statement at the beginning explaining what it is you are looking for

SKILLS
              - Highly inquisitive, creative and resourceful
              - Excellent communication and collaboration skills
              - Tested leadership abilities, able to coordinate all phases of projects while managing, motivating and leading a team
              - Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe PageMaker
              - Microsoft Office
              - Web Design; knowledge of HTML and JavaScript
              - Basic Spanish
              If you don't have any professional experience applying these skills I wouldn't list them as "skills". Instead I would either have a section of "Course/Class Experience" or even have a "Hobby/Interests" section addressing these skills. Most resumee readers don't want to see you list what you think you are good at, they want to see experiences in which you proved you have those skills.

Also, inserting keywords that are common to jobs you are applying to would be helpful
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I would put anything for an objective statement in a cover letter though, right?

I have actually gotten paid for use of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe PageMaker, Microsoft Office, Web Design; knowledge of HTML and JavaScript.

The adobe stuff has been used heavily with publications. I used InDesign to make the resume actually.

I haven't even taken a class in any of those except Office and that class was years ago. I have made it a hobby to keep up my knowledge on Excel especially so that I could prove knowledge of how to use formulas correctly if asked in an interview.
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I would put anything for an objective statement in a cover letter though, right?
                  I always put an objective, generally referencing the job# I am applying to

I have actually gotten paid for use of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe PageMaker, Microsoft Office, Web Design; knowledge of HTML and JavaScript.
                  then put that in work experience
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

But some HR people scan directly to skills to see if someone knows how to use certain things.

Comment

they scan for keywords
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

This might give you an idea of ways to expand on some of your goals or your accomplishments or perhaps what you bring to the company.

If nothing else, it can give you ideas.
                        One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                          they scan for keywords
                          What keywords would they scan for for the position of fluffer?

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't know, I'll ask my recently promoted coworker
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Updated version
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X