• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume Help

updated the resume a bit....

Suggestions would be welcome

I have to apply for summer jobs and all. Basically I'm applying to

1. Human resources jobs
    2. Journalism (copyingediting, layout, design, writing)
    3. Whatever I can get
    Attached Files
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Link failed.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Worked for me (at a different computer)
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Doesn't work. Summary?
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

How does it not work? It is just a pdf.

Comment

Also in there is contact info and references

William J. lastname
            EDUCATION
            Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, VA. Major: Psychology, BA. Graduation: May 2007
            North Harris College, Houston, TX. Summer 2004
            St. Thomas High, Houston, TX. Graduation: May 2003
            - Alumni Association Life Member
            WORK EXPERIENCE
            VMI Foundation
            - Cadet Caller from January 2006-May 2006
            - Updated alumni on plans for the future at VMI, and solicited donations
            Virginia National Guard
            Forward Support unit from April 2006-present
            - Simultaneous Membership Program in an executive officer excess slot
            Headquarters company from February 2005-November 2005
            - Simultaneous Membership Program in a Military Intelligence slot
            The Cadet, Virginia Military Institute’s weekly newspaper
            - Assistant Layout Editor from September 2003-January 2004
            - Layout Editor from January 2004-present, use of Adobe PageMaker and Adobe InDesign
            - Designed and sold advertisements September 2003-present
            - News Writer from September 2003-present
            - Photo Editor from September 2003-present
            - Copyeditor from September 2003-present
            - Assisted in distribution of newspapers
            St. Thomas Eagle Newspaper, St. Thomas High’s monthly newspaper
            - Managed a staff of more than 20 people, and more than $20,000 in advertising income as Editor in Chief in 2002-2003
            - Perennial national award winner

SKILLS
            - Highly inquisitive, creative and resourceful
            - Excellent communication and collaboration skills
            - Tested leadership abilities, able to coordinate all phases of projects while managing, motivating and leading a team
            - Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe PageMaker
            - Microsoft Office
            - Web Design; knowledge of HTML and JavaScript
            - Basic Spanish

VOLUNTEER WORK & EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
            Cadet Equity Association
            - Company representative for 2005-2006
            - Monitored VMI’s climate of respect and equitable treatment for all cadets
            - Received reports of incidents of sexual harassment, and investigated when appropriate.
            - Counseled and trained fellow cadets on harassment policies
            - Protected the privacy of individuals who came forward with reports
            Rat Challenge High Ropes
            - Operated a high ropes course for first-year students from 2004-present
            - Assistant Cadet in Charge for 2006
            Knights of Columbus
            - July 2002-present
            - Organized fundraising efforts for charities by assisting local patrons and collecting money from donors
            - Aided nursing home residents each month with social activities and tasks

Comment

I get one of those empty picture boxes and no sign of pdf anywhere.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Empty picture boxes?

Comment

You know those tiny picture icons in the upper left corner when the picture can't be loaded.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Works for me.
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      You know those tiny picture icons in the upper left corner when the picture can't be loaded.
                      I would have thought it would bring up the download box or whatnot.

It's just a pdf, nothing out of the ordinary. They are all over the place online.

Comment

Probably my settings then.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

No comments?

Comment

Anyway, suggestions:

I think that the work experience needs to be more descriptive. Perhaps arrange them into short paragraphs describing what you did. The current arrangment of short descriptions with titles is haphazard, unclear, and a bit disorientating. Put awards and such in a separate section.

Skills:
                            Not too sure about the first three. These are things more appropriate for a leter of reference or a cover letter.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Short paragraphs seems like too many words

Those skills seem a bit too general for a cover letter

Comment

Working...
                              X