Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The price of oil

Originally posted by DanS
    Daniel Yergin saying that lots of capacity is coming online and that he expects prices to moderate.
    Well of course he expects prices to moderate. He has unbound optimism in technology and the free market. But what are his numbers, are they accurate etc...
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
      The price of gas will probably go down for six months. Then it will spike again to even higher levels.

The market is responding to the growing wealth gap in the US . It is rapidly becoming less efficient as the disparity in profit between serving the wealthy and the poor widens.
      Finally! A post involving oil prices. I was beginning to wonder if anyone (including the starter) knew what the title of the thread was. I think I'll go elsewhere now.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Bubye!
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

the economist's editor in chief resigned a few weeks ago. it will be interesting to see what stance the new editor takes on the 2006 midterms and the war in iraq.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Who cares? It's a Brit pub.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Do Brits not get a vote in Congress yet?

No (Iraq-esque) wars without representation.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Large speculators set the price of oil, they are currently net long the crude oil future. If you want more details, check cftc.gov under the Commitment of Trader report.

Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, George Soros, Jim Rogers all belong to Large Speculators.

Commercial Hedgers are the oil producers, they are currently net short the crude oil future.

Exxon Mobil, BP, Chevron all belong to Commercial Hedgers. Encana, the largest Canadian oil company, thought that oil price topped last year, sold short crude future heavily, and took a huge loss.

Last year, Goldman published a report saying that crude oil could hit $105/barrel in case of supply disruptions. This year, Soros expected $260/barrel under extreme conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by One_more_turn
                  Commercial Hedgers are the oil producers, they are currently net short the crude oil future.
                  Isn't that because they are hedging?

Comment

Yes. Oil companies usually go short the crude futures since they can deliver the real stuffs.

But airlines, refiners, chemicals, and other oil consuming industries are Commercial Hedgers, too; and those guys must long the crude future. For example, Southwest Airlines did very well in recent years because they locked in the price of jet fuel at the equivalent of $35 crude oil until 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by One_more_turn
                      Yes. Oil companies usually go short the crude futures since they can deliver the real stuffs.

But airlines, refiners, chemicals, and other oil consuming industries are Commercial Hedgers, too; and those guys must long the crude future. For example, Southwest Airlines did very well in recent years because they locked in the price of jet fuel at the equivalent of $35 crude oil until 2009.
                      And oil companies were always happy to do that to lessen their price risk. For instance, most of the companies would be willing to enter into long-term contracts to provide crude at $70 today. While it eliminates their price upsside, it does the same for the downside and essentially transfers the price risk to the consumer/customer
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Another thing that is interesting is the record price for gold. Most of it is because oil profits are being invested in gold. It appears to me that this would be a bad investment is the price of oil comes down.

Comment

Sales of gold jewellery has gone down, diamond demand has gone up though.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            No. I tend not to link them because they've written a couple of articles before that have been so transparently and thoroughly wrong that even I have been able to spot it. I mark this up to broken editorial controls.

On the other hand, the subject matter that they cover is interesting.
                            More likely that translates into "I didn't like what they said." What they said was very likely to have been absolutely correct but you didn't like it because it didn't agree with your conservative principles.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                              They are good for macro pussies who blather on and on and don't know how to calculate CAGRs or WACCs or monopolist best pricing.

what is the exact amount of utility that you derived from this post?
                              indiferencr balk bkla bka

Iy got me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                More likely that translates into "I didn't like what they said." What they said was very likely to have been absolutely correct but you didn't like it because it didn't agree with your conservative principles.
                                I don't think you have a possible basis for affixing a likelihood to that statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X