The price of oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of oil

The last oil thread is about a week old, so I'll start a new one.

A month or so ago, I mentioned that the WSJ had a podcast from Daniel Yergin saying that lots of capacity is coming online and that he expects prices to moderate. I couldn't find the link at the time because it wasn't from the WSJ after all. Rather, it was from the Economist.

Out of principal, I don't often link the Economist, but I will make an exception this time.

5.6 MB MP3
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

For those who don't know Daniel Yergin, he's an historian who wrote The Prize, which is one of the authoritative modern histories of the oil industry. He is well regarded as an historian and an analyst. Cambridge Energy Research Associates is his shop.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

why dont you link to the economist? is it because they use facts to back up their articles and dont have their nose up the republican party/ bush's ass like the washington post/ wall street journal does?
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

No. I tend not to link them because they've written a couple of articles before that have been so transparently and thoroughly wrong that even I have been able to spot it. I mark this up to broken editorial controls.

On the other hand, the subject matter that they cover is interesting.

Comment

I find the economist annoying simply because they don't name who writes their articles. Does anyone know why they do this?

Comment

The economist is one of the papers who are open about their agenda . I appreciate that much more than the usual one-size-fits-all political magazines with murky or non stated editorial preferences.

Comment

the only real problem i have with them is that for a magazine that is dripped with contemp and scpeticism about government from every word, they jumped into bed real quick with the whole iraq thing.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

They did endorse Kerry in the last US election, if that is worth anything

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  They did endorse Kerry
                  "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
                  Check out my Blog!

Comment

They are good for macro pussies who blather on and on and don't know how to calculate CAGRs or WACCs or monopolist best pricing.

Comment

Thought this article was interesting, but random. $6 million per Caterpillar truck for use in the oil sands. The largest concentration of such trucks is in Alberta.

Comment

They are good for macro pussies who blather on and on and don't know how to calculate CAGRs or WACCs or monopolist best pricing.

what is the exact amount of utility that you derived from this post?

Comment

Originally posted by Ell_man
                          I find the economist annoying simply because they don't name who writes their articles. Does anyone know why they do this?
                          It's the message that matters, not the messenger.

Dan citing the Economist.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Comment

The price of gas will probably go down for six months. Then it will spike again to even higher levels.

The market is responding to the growing wealth gap in the US . It is rapidly becoming less efficient as the disparity in profit between serving the wealthy and the poor widens.
                              VANGUARD

Comment

Working...
                              X