RIP: John Kenneth Galbraith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam Smith
    Galbraith had quite a popular following, but not nearly as much impact on either policy or the economics profession.

Galbraith's analysis of conspicuous consumption (Affluent Society, 1958) was made much more forcefully by Thorstein Veblen 50 years earlier. (Galbraith is to Veblen as Keith Richards is to Robert Johnson). His analysis of the role of advertising and competition (The New Industrial State, 1967) was largely refuted by the economics of information and growth of consumer protection agencies, both of which were in their infancy when Galbraith's book was written. The huge costs of the business-labor-government institutional triumvirate he advocated in American Capitalism (1952) were illustrated by the massive economic dislocations of the 1970's and early 1980's, as well as the current GM melt-down.

While I share Galbraith's disgust at conspicuous consumption, and his dismay at the overly mathematical nature of economics today, it would quite a stretch to call him a great economist. If you are a lefty and like Galbraith, try reading VEBLEN. If you are a mainstream Democrat and like Galbraith, try reading SOLOW or TOBIN. In fact, if you have any interest at all in economics or economic policy, read Solow.
    Oh well let's just forget about him then
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

It's a stain on Galbraith's reputation to call him an economist.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

That's what you get for propounding economic theories.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
          That's what you get for propounding economic theories.
          Yes, but it's a bit like claiming Lincoln was just a politician.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            Yes, but it's a bit like claiming Lincoln was just a politician.
            Many of our best presidents weren't. As a matter of fact, many of the bad ones were.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
              He was also criticized a lot; notably by Friedmann and the school of chicago.
              No economist could possibly dream of a bigger honor than that

JKG
              A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

It's smart to worry if you agree with Friedman.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I think the biggest loss here is America was once renowned for producing these rounded figures like Galbraith, in the tradition of Ben Franklin. Now all we seem to get is shrill low rent types, campaign contributors and partisans because smart people don't get involved in public life anymore.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                  X