RIP: John Kenneth Galbraith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP

Can't say I agreed with his philosophy, but there is no doubt that he was one of the greater thinkers of our time and that he had society's best interest at heart.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
      He was among the foremost gurus of European Social Democratic economic thinking and, as such, has caused immense harm to our societies over the years.
      yeah - he encouraged governments spend money to help their citizens get housing, healthcare and employment rather waste it on armaments. What a bastard.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

yeah - he encouraged governments spend money to help their citizens get housing, healthcare and employment rather waste it on armaments. What a bastard.
        That bastard! He is the reason for all that poverty and disease and crime sweaping Europe!
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

JKG
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

My one cent on J.K. Galbraith

He was also criticized a lot; notably by Friedmann and the school of chicago. (By his lack of math formulation). He was accused to have undermined the economics of some country by the imposition of minimal wages. (But Friedmann himself says some of his own idean and action he made in U.K. in the eighties was "maybe" a bad idea)

He was praised also a lot; and he became chief of the American Economics Association.

For myself; I find his idea of technostrure helped us a lot to understand many new aspect of the firm, and how manager are acting.

He helped a lot of people to have better understanding of economics, since many of his book became great sellers. And he help us, economist, to also be very critics even on our own "dogma". Since economics are based on "dogma" or hypothesis.

So JKB

(I made a paper on his idea in my course of History of Economics, my professor was a student of the school of chicago and I received the best notes of the class for my paper).
            bleh

Comment

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - J. K. Galbraith

RIP

Comment

Sad to see an intelligent economist die

RIP
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

there is such a thing?
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                    there is such a thing?
                    Not anymore
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

on Spiffor for insulting Adam Smith (our poster)
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
                        RIP
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

He thought outside the box. I enjoyed what I did read from him.

RIP
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                            "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - J. K. Galbraith

RIP
                            This is what I liked about him. All great economists are deeply interested in political philosophy.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Galbraith had quite a popular following, but not nearly as much impact on either policy or the economics profession.

Galbraith's analysis of conspicuous consumption (Affluent Society, 1958) was made much more forcefully by Thorstein Veblen 50 years earlier. (Galbraith is to Veblen as Keith Richards is to Robert Johnson). His analysis of the role of advertising and competition (The New Industrial State, 1967) was largely refuted by the economics of information and growth of consumer protection agencies, both of which were in their infancy when Galbraith's book was written. The huge costs of the business-labor-government institutional triumvirate he advocated in American Capitalism (1952) were illustrated by the massive economic dislocations of the 1970's and early 1980's, as well as the current GM melt-down.

While I share Galbraith's disgust at conspicuous consumption, and his dismay at the overly mathematical nature of economics today, it would quite a stretch to call him a great economist. If you are a lefty and like Galbraith, try reading VEBLEN. If you are a mainstream Democrat and like Galbraith, try reading SOLOW or TOBIN. In fact, if you have any interest at all in economics or economic policy, read Solow.
                              Last edited by Adam Smith; May 1, 2006, 01:16.
                              Old posters never die.
                              They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Veblen is pretty tough reading.
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X