Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come we haven't gotten rid of email spam yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come we haven't gotten rid of email spam yet?

There are controversial subjects in society, like abortion or economic policy, which take ages to decide on and no matter what the decision there are always opponents.

But with email spam everything is so beautifully set up: everyone and their mother hates it, and the decision space is equally simple: to get rid of it is the only option.

How come we haven't figured out a way to get rid of it yet? It's priority numero uno dammit!

I mean even presidents and prime ministers must be getting spam. Aren't they pissed off at it like I am?

The sole reason why I would support One World Government is because it will be better able to deal with spam

You can't get rid of something as long as it is profitable.
    CSPA

Comment

At least we could track them down like we do with drug dealers, only 10 000 times worse. I wish Vladimir Putin would get on this

Comment

Yeah, send the Spetsnaz on their asses
        CSPA

Comment

Uh. I don't get spam anymore. Or at least, I don't get spam that doesn't immediately go into my spambox, never to be seen again.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You wanted to have an idea for a website?

Track down few spammers, and have a site where their full names, addresses and pics are.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              You wanted to have an idea for a website?

Track down few spammers, and have a site where their full names, addresses and pics are.
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Make spamming a capital offense.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I think I've seen a grand total of one spam mail make it through to my gmail in box.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    I think I've seen a grand total of one spam mail make it through to my gmail in box.
                    Ditto. They're doing a great job. And there never were any false positives either.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Really? I get a handful every day, mostly in German.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Get rid of spam e-mail? Heck we just gave an Olympic medal to a professional spam mailer! Why would we get rid of it?
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Why does spam still exist? Because, amazing as it seems, some fall for it. Therefore genocide of the gullible is the solution.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I still get alot in Russian. I can't tell if its spam or death threats from Serb.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                              You can't get rid of something as long as it is profitable.
                              Exactly. Thus, to eliminate spamming, you make it unprofitable. Fine $50 per spam should do it.

The trickier part is how do we track down who send what, given that there are a whole bunch of infected PCs out there that can send spam?
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X