U.S. economy grows at 4.8% Q-Q annualized rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pchang
    Consumer income increased by 0.8%. Consumer spending index increased by 0.4% during the same time period. Core inflation was 0.3% during the same period.
    Wage costs went up too. The job market is good so Americans are spending money like it's going to stay good. They aren't worried too much about high gas prices. However, the gas prices will probably stay high for a long time, and the job market will slow down. It's just a matter of time. The long run trend is not for wages to increase, they only do so for short periods at time.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

wage cost = consumer income for the most part
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

So what factor has foreign competition and illegal immigration had on the lack of wage growth for US workers? Does anyone know?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No. Firstly, $51.6 billion of the $88.8 billion increase in personal income was from transfers, more specifically a hike in medicare payouts. Only 34$ billion were from increases in employment compensation, which is about the average increase the previous 7 months. No acceleration of absolute wage growth.

It is understood that many users create ‘bookmarks’ or ‘favorites’ for their most frequently accessed pages on our site. However, due to some alterations to our directory structure, some ‘bookmarked’ URLs may no longer house the information they did prior to any redesign. The links provided below will assist you in locating information within the BEA site. Should you be unable to locate the information you want, please contact us at webmaster@bea.gov and let us know the web page you were looking for.

Secondly, it turns out the increase in medicare payments was overstated by $39.8 billion (it was supposed to have been recorded in April). Hence, the personal income increase in March has been degraded to $49.9 billion, which is lower than the $52.7 billion increase in personal outlays.

It is understood that many users create ‘bookmarks’ or ‘favorites’ for their most frequently accessed pages on our site. However, due to some alterations to our directory structure, some ‘bookmarked’ URLs may no longer house the information they did prior to any redesign. The links provided below will assist you in locating information within the BEA site. Should you be unable to locate the information you want, please contact us at webmaster@bea.gov and let us know the web page you were looking for.

Presumably, the personal income increase will outpace personal outlays in April, but whether that'll be because of an acceleration in wage growth will remained to be seen.

[edit] that was meant as a reply to pchang
          Last edited by Colon™; May 4, 2006, 17:13.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

working stiffs not getting raises is bcs low paying jobs are the ones first taken by immigrants. Imagine how this "low wage" looks in terms of % increase from mexican, polish or ukrainian salaries. US has thus effectively lifted millions out of poverty. Don't be so selfish, commies
            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
              wage cost = consumer income for the most part
              If that's a response to what I said. I'm not sure what it means. There's a relationship there, but what is important is consumer spending since that leads everything. If people adjust expectations for wage increases and expect gas prices to stay high then they will probably start spending less and that will affect income.

Comment

Except that we really don't have to reduce our debt, and we shouldn't if it's going to reduce growth. All we really have to worry about is interest rates getting to high again, so eventually the deficit could be a problem. Surpluses serve no real purpose though.
                It reduces growth one way or the other. Either we have to repay it by, say, raising taxes, or the resulting inflation will result in the need for higher interest rates---- which will hurt growth.

Not raising taxes does not eliminate the hit to future growth caused by debts. It just hides it. And distributes it very badly.
                VANGUARD

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
                  or the resulting inflation will result in the need for higher interest rates---- which will hurt growth.
                  It does not cause inflation.

Comment

Well, as I said, it may or may not result in inflation depending on the Fed's counter moves (as well as those of other central banks).

But borrowing does not create wealth. If the Federal government is borrowing to spend money on things that will not result in more growth (such as tax cuts for the rich or pointless wars), then it is destroying wealth. One way or another, this will hurt growth.
                    VANGUARD

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
                      Well, as I said, it may or may not result in inflation depending on the Fed's counter moves (as well as those of other central banks).
                      Deficits can be inflationary, but the debt is not.

Comment

Surpluses serve no real purpose though.

except they help reduce the current account deficit, and increase national saving, which means more growth tomorrow.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                          Surpluses serve no real purpose though.

except they help reduce the current account deficit, and increase national saving, which means more growth tomorrow.
                          Considering that taxes have to be collected to do both of those things they probably don't create any growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
                            working stiffs not getting raises is bcs low paying jobs are the ones first taken by immigrants. Imagine how this "low wage" looks in terms of % increase from mexican, polish or ukrainian salaries. US has thus effectively lifted millions out of poverty. Don't be so selfish, commies

Not really.

So rich are getting richer

Now then according to your theory the poor were poor to begin with but now slightly richer since they had low expectations.

This leaves out the other 60% of society which makes up the middle class and the backbone of any healthy nation

Oh wait, they don't matter because the middle class is effectivley dying and becoming working poor.

Sweet deal

**** the good times
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

DONT YA KNOW TED? THE RISING TIDE LIFTS ALL YACHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                So what factor has foreign competition and illegal immigration had on the lack of wage growth for US workers? Does anyone know?
                                What other causes are there? Eliminating worker bargaining power and introducing a glut of labor have been terrific for those guys at the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X