No announcement yet.

US train prices are ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the train would most likely be on time.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yep. The shinkansen is awesome, despite its expense.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

And you probably wouldn't have to get up from your seat to buy beer.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Nope. The ladies bring the food carts by quite often.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I bet you can also play Nintendo on those train.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

The TGV is barely slower than the Shinkansen, and it's twice as cheap
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Drake, I believe train operators have been private in Japan since the 80's. Do they get subsidized?
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  The TGV is barely slower than the Shinkansen, and it's twice as cheap
                  Subsidies?

-Arrian

p.s. Of course, IIRC Amtrak is subsidized, for all the good THAT does.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Drake, I believe train operators have been private in Japan since the 80's. Do they get subsidized?

I'm not sure. I've been looking for information on the economics of the shinkansen and TGV for a few minutes now, but I'm coming away empty-handed so far...

edit: This would seem to indicate that the only subsidies the shinkansen gets are those used to help build new track. This indicates that that was a substantial amount of money in the past, although it may not be so now considering the modest amounts of new track that are being planned. The day-to-day operations of the shinkansen seem very profitable.
                    Last edited by Drake Tungsten; April 27, 2006, 12:33.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

This text also doesn't seem to indicate any (operation) subsidies: http://www.japanesestudies.org.uk/di...pers/Hood.html

Successful Privatisation

Japan National Railways (JNR) was privatised in 1987. Central to the reform was trying to ensure that the companies could be financially viable. Therefore, the three main companies on the main island of Honshu were each given a part of the profitable shinkansen network that could be used to cross-subsidise the less profitable, and often rural, lines that were also to become part of their franchise. Japan was therefore divided up into six regional blocks - East, Central and West on Honshu, then also Hokkaido, Shikoku and Kykshu. On top of this, one freight company was also created. It should be remembered at this point that there are numerous fully private regional railway companies as well, that remain wholly separate from Japan Railways (JR). A key point to note - in comparison to the situation in Britain - is that the operating companies also own the lines, trains, stations and so on. This ensures total responsibility is taken by one company and that intermediary companies are not each trying to make a profit, which translates itself into high ticket prices. On top of this, it should also be noted that companies have been looking to make money outside the 'normal' channels of the rail industry - most notably JR Tokai's ownership of the 'Matsuri' Japanese restaurant in London.

Although the government continues to have a sizable holding in many of these companies, the 'privatisation' of JNR is seen by some as the most significant moment in Japan's railway history. Although the companies are still burdened with huge debts from the JNR days, the Honshu companies at least are now profitable and it cannot be doubted that the attitude and performance of the rail industry as a whole has improved greatly. As far as the shinkansen is concerned, since privatisation we have seen the development of new models and the continued expansion of the shinkansen network.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        And the train would most likely be on time.

-Arrian
                        Barring an attack by Godzilla or any other mutant creature.
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

That's not ridiculous, unless you live in EU leeching Greece where everything is paid by the rest of the Europe.

So no Alice... that's what the trains do cost.

But please, don't leave EU
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

They got cheap train, but expensive planes. In the end it all evens out.

Comment

OTOH we have expensive trains and expensive planes. At the end it evens out because no one can afford to travel
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Exactly. We have to keep the Fins in Finland! Imagine the alternative! DEAR GOD MAN!

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                                X