US train prices are ridiculous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US train prices are ridiculous

$60 to go from NY to Baltimore? come on....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Yes, they are. This is why we all fly or drive.

-Arrian

p.s. And that's regular 'ole Amtrak, right? Not the new "Acela" speedy train? IIRC, that sucker is even pricier.
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

$60!

That´s insane!
      The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

It's 188 miles from NYC to Baltimore. What would it cost to go 188 miles by train in Western Europe these days?

Just for comparison.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

They're like 150 miles from each other init? That's about what we'd pay to go from London to Birmingham, so... no complaints.

Comment

I think we have a mismatch on perceptions about distance. The US is a tad bigger than most European countries. Think Russia, not Greece.

That said, I'm surprised that you could get such a great price, since the prices normally are so much higher. IOW, yes, US train prices normally are ridiculous, but the $60 price is quite reasonable IMO.

An alternative to the train is the chinatown bus system, which could probably get you round trip for $40.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Paris-Nantes are roughly 370 km apart
              52€ full price.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

188 miles is 300km

thessaloniki-athens, a 500km distance is 20 euros (24$)
                but we have really cheap (state funded) trains

from cologne to amsterdam (270km according to google maps) with Die Bahn it's 37 euros = 44$

Comment

188 miles is about 300 km. 4 hours maybe. it's expensive, but not ridiculously so.

I would guess buses are cheaper (and likely quicker too) .
                  CSPA

Comment

Are all of those prices one-way, or return included? Amsterdam-Antwerp is €27 one-way with a distance of about 160km/100 miles.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Think Russia, not Greece.
                      thanks for the suggestion, it never cross my mind that USA is so big...

An alternative to the train is the chinatown bus system, which could probably get you round trip for $40.
                      yeap, i've found something...

Comment

One way.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                          Are all of those prices one-way, or return included? Amsterdam-Antwerp is €27 one-way with a distance of about 160km/100 miles.
                          one-way
                          you can check prices at http://www.bahn.de (click on "intern. guests")

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            thanks for the suggestion, it never cross my mind that USA is so big...
                            Smart ass!

Yes, that bus company is one of several.

Comment

Would be almost $100 to go that far on a main trunk line in Japan. You would get there in ~2 hours, though.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X