tax questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tax questions

i was calculating my yearly income and i arrived at a scary and interesting conclusion.

i calculated my average tax rate right now on my paychecks (that is ytd net pay/ytd gross pay) vs actual taxes i will pay this year (based on calculating each tax bracket im in and fica). theres a 5% discrpency which totals to 1200 dollars.

so, after reading about the tax rates and how they calculate brackets will my paychecks in fact get smaller as i cross the 7300 bracket (no, i havent hit that yet this year). or will they continue to keep up this average that hovers around 15.4% while i will in fact owe that 5% come next year.

i really do not look forward to filling that 1200 dollar gap.

furthermore ive taken 2 exemptions, not being dependent and something else.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

PM me your total income from the year and I can give you your Federal tax this very moment.

Comment

no need to PM, ytd gross is 6902.50.
      calculated gross is 20280 ($10/h*78h/pay period*26 pay periods per year)

i calculated that id pay 4228.42 in taxes total.
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

so, after reading about the tax rates and how they calculate brackets will my paychecks in fact get smaller as i cross the 7300 bracket (no, i havent hit that yet this year). or will they continue to keep up this average that hovers around 15.4% while i will in fact owe that 5% come next year.

If there's a ****up you're going to owe it come next year. They shouldn't change your witholding halfway through the year.

Secondly, why did you get 2 exemptions? If you aren't married and don't have any kids you should only get one.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

MRT, are you sure you aren't misreading the form?

Like, FICA contributions are listed in a separate box?
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Head of Household and Self?
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Weren't taxes due a week ago?
              Monkey!!!

Comment

lines a and b on the w4. no one can claim me as a dependent, and im single and have one job. 1+1 = 2

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                  Weren't taxes due a week ago?
                  this is for next year. i like getting my taxes done in january. i also like having an accurate amount represented on the income portion of my monthly budget.

Comment

You need to pay for a household in which a "qualifying person" lives with you. That basically has to be a relative. If he's living with his brother and his brother's not paying rent then that's okay.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

MRT, the federal tax on a single taxpayer who claims 1 exemption is roughly $1,446. I think you might be misreading the form.

FICA doesn't mean **** for someone in your tax bracket and it has nothing to do with federal withholding.

Comment

Also, you cannot claim your job.

This is for the Internal Revenue Service right, not the Canadians?

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                          lines a and b on the w4. no one can claim me as a dependent, and im single and have one job. 1+1 = 2
                          okay. that's different from number of exemptions you will claim on your return for 2006 though...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH why would it be different? and what does that mean for me?

and harry, i still arrive at 2677 for the taxes i will pay. (730+(15%*(20280-7300). how do exemptions play into this number.

Comment

I just had my tax report for last year.. My income was 8000 euros, including student support and summer job. Yay. I guess that makes me a bit poorer than most poor?

That was before rent, before everything.. Oh and they taxed the 8000 euros too.. ~900 euros away from that .

Just thought about it. Pretty ridiculous.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X