Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Starts This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkG
    you really cant keep your hands from my threads, can you?
    Trolling, Markos?

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

BTW, I think that the GAT is indeed intended to prevent you from downloading windows updates unless it is installed.

That's the point of the GAT as far as I can tell

Comment

No, there is another tool that prevents updates on non-legit systems. That's been around for a couple of years.

GAT is to inform people who appear to have pirated versions, and offer to help them buy legit Windows at a $100US discount.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

As long as a non-Genuine copy is detected, certain updates won't be possible but Windows XP will continue to function.
          Albeit this may technically be a seperate element of the update, i'd argue that Vince's experience supports my argument

Comment

[q="www.microsoft.com"]
            While the program is presently opt-in, as it expands later in the year, it may become a requirement for the AU service. Regardless of genuine status, users will not be denied access to critical security updates. Users who have not validated their computers as genuine, however, will not be able to install many updates, including Internet Explorer 7.0 and Windows Defender.
            [/q]

Microsoft is ... sort of in between. I wonder if something went slightly awry with the 'optional' element of this.

Anyhow, it looks like the tool may become nonoptional... but critical security updates will always (or at least for now?) be allowed regardless.

Comment

And, I have to laugh at $100 discount. If you can't find a $100 (or $80, or probably less) legit copy of Windows, you are not a very good shopper I think best buy sold copies for $99...

Comment

I'm legit. Its a newly purchased Gateway (a few months ago) with XP Media Center. I went through the activation process on day one. I guess I got nothing to lose in downloading GAT, I'm just being a hold out on principle. Is there any real reason for me not to download GAT?
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

If you've got a legit copy, there's no problem.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

So what is the genuine advantage? Not being pestered to death?
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      If you're getting the message, you're using a widely pirated key or a system where you've modified the activation DLLs.

So the following happened:
                      1) You're not using the OEM install (does it say Dell Computer when you go to System Properties?)
                      2) You've given your CD key out to friends/family
                      3) You've never activated your system
                      1) It says that it's a Dell computer.
                      2) I've never given out my cd key to anyone else.
                      3) My system is activated.

I can provide screenshots proving points (1) and (3). I'll bet I'm not the only one who's been hounded by MS despite having a 100% legit system, and has had to spend quite a bit of their time to solve the solution, using questionable methods. I'm sorry to say you're wrong on this occasion, Asher.

Comment

moral lesson:

don't bother buying things, because they won't believe you. Steal it.

Comment

I was also once arrested for shoplifting, after buying the Titanic soundtrack. I tried to tell the security guards it was for my sister's birthday, but they wouldn't listen...

Comment

I haven't heard from anyone else, either anecdotally or via google, that is having this problem with a legit system.

Something is rotten in the state of Gibsie.

Comment

Well, I looked up windows, genuine and dell in Google, here's the third link:
                              First off, I am talking about a legitimate installation of Windows XP Home, so let's not let this thread start touching on warez, like the last one...

So a few people are being affected, certain lucky people, and according to Nexxo, who sounds most knowledgeable, if I'd let it continue I'd have been locked out after 30 days. How charming.

End of the day, MS and Dell have really screwed up here... and even if it only affects a few people, it still sucks to be one of those few, funnily.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                                I was also once arrested for shoplifting, after buying the Titanic soundtrack. I tried to tell the security guards it was for my sister's birthday, but they wouldn't listen...
                                I don't blame you for stealing that. I wouldn't want to be seen buying it.

Comment

Working...
                                X