No announcement yet.

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Starts This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It scares small-time pirates. Microsoft sells more software.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

It makes MS look like it cares about small-time pirates. I think Microsoft benefits from the fact that so many people, especially in poor countries, are using warezed copies of Windows (it's not like they'd buy them since they can't afford them). I mean, if Microsoft really wanted to scare small-time pirates, wouldn't they make pirated Windows installations shut down or at least gimp them severely until a legit Windows is bought?
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

It would make sense for Microsoft to try trashing illegal copies. Its not like illegal users can complain to anyone.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

It can damage their reputation though. "20,000 XP machines were today infected with a virus that was released over a month ago..." Leaving a large segment of the windows population exposed to bad security is not good for Microsoft, even if the ones who get infected have pirate copies. People will moreso associate MS with unsecure systems and may go seek competitor solutions.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I want an alternative solution!
            What I need is a Winux, a Open source Windows clone, where all my windows games run fine.

Comment

It's not about games, its about offices. That's where MS makes its money - from businesses.

Businesses aren't about to just swap to a new OS all because of some issue the bosses don't understand/care about, all the bosses want is something that works, and supports whatever it needs to co-operatively work with other companies and be well-supported. Windows covers all this, no other OS does, not even MacOS.

Linux is really only good for security and servers, most companies don't find this useful enough to use.

BeOS is a waste of time. As for MacOS, it is only now entering the majority of the business world, tho, I don't welcome it, I still prefer Windows, and I HATE creating anything media-wise on a Mac, even though I was told the Mac is far superior with media creation (i.e, 3D models, Photoshop, sound, video). I still find the windows interface and wide support outruns the Mac.
              be free

Comment

All too true.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                  lol, first they have you install it, then they provide removal instructions....
                  LOL MARK

How dare they?
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                    And this had to happen while Asher is banned. Microsoft's timing sucks so bad...
                    He's baaaaack!

Comment

I fully admit, my copy is not genuine.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                        Do people try to justify using an illegal copy of Windows, or do they just admit it's because they're lazy, cheap bums?
                        I just admit I'm a lazy, cheap bum.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

LOL MARK

How dare they?
                          you really cant keep your hands from my threads, can you?
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
                            Yeah, they're on Microsoft's website. It tells you to uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs.
                            uh... where are those instructions?

Comment

Yeah already struck me with this one. Theres a way of turning it off so it only shows up as a little star next to the time along the bottom. Just means I can't get windows updates.

Or rather, of course I have an authentic copy of windows XP.

Comment

Do people try to justify using an illegal copy of Windows, or do they just admit it's because they're lazy, cheap bums?
                                Heres a couple,
                                a) its too expensive to buy.
                                b) why bother when you can get it for free with no negative consequences?
                                c) I own XP home edition, wanted to upgrade to pro for free
                                d) far too lazy to buy it
                                e) I don't care about microsoft

Mainly its a subtle mixture of them all.

Comment

Working...
                                X