9/11 Film Premiere Ignites Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darius871
    I've just been sick to death of the circle-jerk over heroism incarnate that's been going on since this movie came out, and wanted to just throw into the discussion that people are making too many assumptions. The second we delve into a serious debate over petty semantics it becomes nitpicking.

Let's just say I personally think the definition of heroism has become way too broad in our society. Could be wrong.
    a hero is someone who embodies the cultures values, who possesses the virtues we wish to teach our young. And whose story teaches those virtues. I would suggest that this can conceivably be quite broad, for some virtues.

"courage is grace under pressure" Hemingway

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave. ~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar, 1894

Sometimes even to live is an act of courage. ~Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Letters to Lucilius
    Last edited by lord of the mark; May 4, 2006, 13:11.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
      I've just been sick to death of the circle-jerk over heroism incarnate that's been going on since this movie came out, and wanted to just throw into the discussion that people are making too many assumptions. The second we delve into a serious debate over petty semantics it becomes nitpicking.

Let's just say I personally think the definition of heroism has become way too broad in our society. Could be wrong.
      In other words, you are way too analytical.

I bet you could have played the role of Data in Star Trek: The Next Generation, or Spock in the original quite well.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The natural instinct of a human being is too protect themself. It is not a natural instinct to rush hijackers, knowing you're going to die.

They went above and beyond the call.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I saw the film last Friday. I too was move to tears. I don't know whether it was because the movie was so intense or becuase it brought back memories of that day. But I was moved.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

The real debate should be about whether the plane was brought down because of the attempt by passengers to gain control over the plane, or whether it was actually shot down.

Click here and here to find out how close the George Washington Bridge came to being blown up on 9/11 and why all evidence against those terrorists was classified. Click here to see the influence of Neocon Zionists in the USA and how they benefitted from 9/11. Remember the USS Liberty and the Lavon Affair.

Comment

That's really irrelevant. I see your point, but I don't agree with it's merits. In either case, the outlook was gloomy.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                That's really irrelevant.
                It's irrelevant that the US government might have deliberately falsified the events regarding the crash of Flight 93, including the time of the actual crash?

Despite extensive bodies of credible evidence establishing Flight 93's impact time at 10:06 AM, NORAD and the 9/11 Commission asserted that impact was at 10:03.
                Click here and here to find out how close the George Washington Bridge came to being blown up on 9/11 and why all evidence against those terrorists was classified. Click here to see the influence of Neocon Zionists in the USA and how they benefitted from 9/11. Remember the USS Liberty and the Lavon Affair.

Comment

Oh, Christ. We have us a conspiracy theorist. Ok, run with that.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Oh, Christ. We have us a conspiracy theorist. Ok, run with that.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      The natural instinct of a human being is too protect themself. It is not a natural instinct to rush hijackers, knowing you're going to die.

They went above and beyond the call.
                      I fully agree with Sloww, most people would be paralised with fear. What they did was extraordinarily brave.

God bless America
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Has anyone mentioned that the coward-appeaser was a Brit. He actually tried to help the hi-jackers.

I assume he was a real person, as everything in this movie was "real." He must make the Brits proud.
                        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Slaughtermeyer

It's irrelevant that the US government might have deliberately falsified the events regarding the crash of Flight 93, including the time of the actual crash?

Despite extensive bodies of credible evidence establishing Flight 93's impact time at 10:06 AM, NORAD and the 9/11 Commission asserted that impact was at 10:03.
                          https://www.911research.wtc7.net/~ni...t93/index.html

This is why I have never found illicit drug use appealing for myself; it ****s up your brain too much.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Here's an excellent resource for those wishing to conduct additional 9/11 research:

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                              Has anyone mentioned that the coward-appeaser was a Brit. He actually tried to help the hi-jackers.

I assume he was a real person, as everything in this movie was "real." He must make the Brits proud.
                              What in the Hell are you on about? There wasn't a single Brit in the movie!
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Regardless, he must be a real person. They have extensive first hand accounts from all the survivors of Flight 93, after all, and they universally condemn the commie Brit.
                                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                                X