9/11 Film Premiere Ignites Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyclotron
    That's like making a movie about the bombing of Pearl Harbor and complaining because FDR is nowhere to be found.
    ...I think the reference was to the fact that the President's reaction to 9/11 was to run and hide at an Air Force base in Louisiana. He didn't resurface for another day or two. Then he appears to be pale and shaken.

It wasn't until his terrific speech before a Joint Session of Congress a few days later that he began showing leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
      ...I think the reference was to the fact that the President's reaction to 9/11 was to run and hide at an Air Force base in Louisiana. He didn't resurface for another day or two. Then he appears to be pale and shaken.
      Well, my criticism was aimed at Rush's comment that the movie was flawed because it didn't depict the president as a part.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I got home a half-hour ago from watching United 93 with a friend tonight.

That was a well-done film; it was not over-dramatized, and so the production of the film seems to have been done with great respect for the family members of those who died on United 93; hell, they were consulted before-hand.

It was a truly moving experience for me; I shed some silent tears at two different times. The scenes on the plane were just completely tense and gut-wrenching without over-dramatized Hollywood bravado.

I am glad to have seen this movie because of the meaningful, moving experience I had watching it. But I doubt I could ever watch this film a second time; and it's not because I know how the film plays out now; nearly all of us I'm sure have a whole list of movies that we enjoyed watching again sometime. But I doubt I will watch United 93 again anytime for a different reason.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

silent tears

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            silent tears

I didn't cry out loud.

Comment

Yes. One of those movies that one time does the job, I imagine.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                I didn't cry out loud.
                You normally cry out load to make the distinction in your post?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

You normally cry out load to make the distinction in your post?

Sometimes people cry out loud when they shed tears, other times people shed tears without crying out loud.

This movie was the most moving experience for me of all movies I have seen. This was only one of maybe a couple of other movies where I have shed tears. But no, I didn't cry out loud when I saw the other couple of films that so moved me.

I guess there was no reason for me to make the distinction.

Comment

Btw, I wonder. Many people are saying they don't see the 'point' of this movie. Do movies have to have 'point's to make now? If there is a message (if people need that sort of thing), I think it is that ordinary people can be heros. It's why just about no one was really 'named' and we didn't get a backstory on anyone. This was how it was on that day, and ordinary people stood up.

Interestingly, I had no idea that a delay at Newark Airport probably saved the Capitol. If the passengers hadn't realized that they were using the planes as projectiles, they may not have risen up.
                    Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Well-said.

I hate to be the insensitive jackass of the thread, but how was their decision in any way heroic? Their scenario was not the same as, say, running into a burning building on the verge of collapse or throwing oneself on a grenade. They knew their plane was going to be used as a missile, so there was no rational choice but to try retaking the plane.

*runs*
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

I guess there was no reason for me to make the distinction.

I love just being a hard ass

[q=Darius871]
                      I hate to be the insensitive jackass of the thread, but how was their decision in any way heroic? Their scenario was not the same as, say, running into a burning building on the verge of collapse or throwing oneself on a grenade. They knew their plane was going to be used as a missile, so there was no rational choice but to try retaking the plane.[/q]

Oh, I dunno, the fact that most people probably would not have made such a choice? I mean you look at people who are threatened with having their heads chopped off unless the US leaves Iraq. They don't fight... by they know they are going to die. People normally are too frightened to do something brave when they could stay living for another 20 minutes or so.

Rationality usually goes out the window when normal people would be paralyzed with fear.

Comment

Oh, I dunno, the fact that most people probably would not have made such a choice? I mean you look at people who are threatened with having their heads chopped off unless the US leaves Iraq. They don't fight... by they know they are going to die.
                        The difference is that Iraq hostages are bound, unarmed, and facing a half-dozen AK-47s, as opposed to at least a dozen out of 33 passengers armed with scalding water, fire extinguishers, blunt objects, and blankets against TWO skinny punks with razors.

People normally are too frightened to do something brave when they could stay living for another 20 minutes or so.

Rationality usually goes out the window when normal people would be paralyzed with fear.
                        Again, clear strength in numbers would nullify this in most people.
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                          The difference is that Iraq hostages are bound, unarmed, and facing a half-dozen AK-47s, as opposed to at least a dozen out of 33 passengers armed with scalding water, fire extinguishers, blunt objects, and blankets against TWO skinny punks with razors.
                          So? Oooh... you subdue the skinny punks... that doesn't change the fact that you are on a plane... and planes can you know, crash.

In both cases they had to know they were going to die (no matter what the movie says about them 'taking control' and piloting it somewhere else).

Again, clear strength in numbers would nullify this in most people.
                          Like it does in most hijackings? Its easy to say sitting at your desk. Not when you are faced with the situation face to face.

Comment

I love just being a hard ass

"cute"

Comment

Personally... I think it's stupid... so I won't go see it.

I don't get why people have a problem with this movie, so much so to the point where they are making a big stink about it.

Just don't go see it.

End of story.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

So? Oooh... you subdue the skinny punks... that doesn't change the fact that you are on a plane... and planes can you know, crash.

In both cases they had to know they were going to die (no matter what the movie says about them 'taking control' and piloting it somewhere else).
                                Assuming the movie was incorrect about a few passengers having enough minimal pilot training to think they had a slightly better chance of landing the plane with help from the ground than the 0% chance of surviving otherwise, the 9/11 Commission Report states that pilot LeRoy Homer was still alive at the time of the takeover. Surely he would have been able to land.

Like it does in most hijackings? Its easy to say sitting at your desk. Not when you are faced with the situation face to face.
                                It's also easy to say fear is so utterly paralyzing sitting at your desk, without facing the situation face to face. Either argument is impossible to respond to.
                                Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                                X