9/11 Film Premiere Ignites Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I never understood.

How could the terrorists get in to the cockpit, but not the passengers?

This being before the doors on the cockpit were post 9/11 - barricaded .

Comment

Watch the movie... it shows how it could be done.

Oh, and to answer some questions earlier in the thread... the movie wasn't nationalistic or patriotic. It just showed the chaos and situation as it was at the time, as human beings facing crisis.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

if i was going down in a plane id totally whip it out and start jerking off. that way when they find my body theyll know i went out like a champ.

plus on the flip side if the plane didnt crash and all was well, id be "that guy" for the rest of my life.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I'd like to see it. Not sure if it'll be possible, since the local theater management seems to think crap like "RV" and "Stick It" are the more likely money-makers.

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

is there only one theatre where you live?
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Yes. It has nine screens. What's annoying is it's still showing "Benchwarmers," a film most worthy of removal in order to bring in "United 93," IMO.

Gatekeeper
              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                I saw it tonight. Well done film. I recommend everyone to see it once (many won't want to see it again... it really is gut wrenching).

Don't worry; I plan to see it with a friend.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  my concern is the film will be overly patriotic. It's cool they fought back, but I'm sure the amount they fought back will be overplayed.

I'm sure as soon as the insurgency started, the terrorists crashed the plane on purpose.
                  The tape was played in court. It shows the passengers bravely tried to get into the cockpit. The terrorists decided the crash the plane because of it. Arseholes.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
                    That's like making a movie about the bombing of Pearl Harbor and complaining because FDR is nowhere to be found.

The fact is, efforts to deal with the crisis were hampered by no one being in charge right away. Later, Cheney took charge, so don't act like it was unreasonable to expect someone from the government to do so. That's their job. In fact, it's because of Pearl Harbor that we put in place procedures on how to deal with these sorts of things.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                      I'd like to see it. Not sure if it'll be possible, since the local theater management seems to think crap like "RV" and "Stick It" are the more likely money-makers.

Gatekeeper
                      FWIW, I had to go to a smaller theater to see it because the main one around me wasn't showing it.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Btw, I wonder. Many people are saying they don't see the 'point' of this movie. Do movies have to have 'point's to make now? If there is a message (if people need that sort of thing), I think it is that ordinary people can be heros. It's why just about no one was really 'named' and we didn't get a backstory on anyone. This was how it was on that day, and ordinary people stood up.

Interestingly, I had no idea that a delay at Newark Airport probably saved the Capitol. If the passengers hadn't realized that they were using the planes as projectiles, they may not have risen up.

Comment

Well-said.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Btw, I wonder. Many people are saying they don't see the 'point' of this movie. Do movies have to have 'point's to make now? If there is a message (if people need that sort of thing), I think it is that ordinary people can be heros.
                            only if they work up the nerve to actually do it

Comment

That's kind of some of the point.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

. . . . . ordinary people can be heros. It's why just about no one was really 'named' and we didn't get a backstory on anyone. This was how it was on that day, and ordinary people stood up.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X