9/11 Film Premiere Ignites Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    No, you're reading it accurately. The problem with Rush's critique however, was that that morning the President was nowhere to be seen.
    That's like making a movie about the bombing of Pearl Harbor and complaining because FDR is nowhere to be found. It's not even an indictment of the prez, it's just fact - the president is well known enough, he doesn't need pointless movie cameos, too: "Hurrr, the president has to be everywhere where 9/11 is mentioned." A real movie about the flight shouldn't have anything to do with the president, whether he was slacking or not - he's just not relevant to the story.

Though, given the source of the comment (Rush), well, duh.

As far as taste, I imagine that will have more to do with the script and acting than the concept of the film itself; there's really nothing innately tasteless about making a movie of a disaster from five years ago. People make tasteless movies about current events all the time, and nobody complains there.

Edited for clarity
    Last edited by Cyclotron; April 27, 2006, 16:03.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      All the families of the Flight 93 were consulted and approved of the movie as well, so IMO, even less of a reason to say "too soon". If not too soon for them... why for us?
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Cyclotron, his arguments don't have to make sense. That's part of the communist manifesto. Baffle them with bull****.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I should have been clearer. While I buy neither argument, the "duh" was referring to Rush rather than Che.
          Lime roots and treachery!
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

It shouldn't be too soon for us.

What we should be asking, instead is, "Will it be good", or just tripe dressed up in a flag?
            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™

The director is a Brit who directed Bloody Sunday...
              Please go watch that Bloody Sunday (even for its own sake) and you'll realise it's quite unlikely United 93 will be patriotic crap.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I just watched United 93. It was shot so much like a documentary that it should almost be in the category for an oscar run (except that there are obviously parts that were made up as we really have no idea what really happened).

I managed to keep a pretty dry face during the entire movie... I did squirm alot at the memories... It really hit my wife when they say that they evacuated the Sears Tower. She was just a couple blocks away from it when they cleared it.
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  and I admit, I'd be scared I'd cry like a baby at the film. I'll see it home alone on DVD. I hate crying in public. . men aren't supposed to cry at silly things like movies.

WHAT THE ****!!!!
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Donegeal, I don't think "we" have done the research the film maker did. I'll go see it. It's not fabricated bull**** propaganda like Farenhype 911 was.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

No, "we" haven't, but I dout that there is anyway do determine who did the killing blow on the bomber guy and with what weapon. That is just the kind of stuff I'm thinking of. As far as I know, there was at least one phone line open during the fight, so they must know alot...
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I saw it tonight. Well done film. I recommend everyone to see it once (many won't want to see it again... it really is gut wrenching).
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It would have to be.

Comment

dp

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                              I wonder how many times someone joked "let's roll" to the camera people during the filming.
                              Ill see you in hell

Comment

at least wiglaf can admit hes going to hell
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X