Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He says we don't need a memorial . . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of the Washington Monument it never received 1200 acres or a heated waterfall. So it's quite clear what we need to do here. All our monuments need to be not just renovated, like the Statue of Liberty, but upgraded... or supersized, if you will.

The Pearl Harbor Memorial - We should add a cooled 50foot ice sculpture to symbolize... something. Only $200,000 of the memorial cost was government subsidized, which even after inflation is an outrage. Anyone against the Pearl Harbor Memorial upgrade is a monster!
    The Statue of Liberty - Her torch could include polished rubies, oh & she should be able to shoot lazers out of her eyes to shoot down any terrorist planes or enemy nukes! I hope no one here hates liberty enough to oppose this.
    etc.

Comment

SuperSize It
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        The deficit wasn't built in a day. It comes from small projects that build up (ie, pork).
        Building a pig, one slice of bacon at a time.

Comment

taylor is right. the people of 9/11 didnt do anything worthwile, and they were in wrong place at the wrong time. should we erect a memorial to tsunami victims?
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            I agree with Taylor. The plans for this memorial seem out of control.

Even if part of the proposed plan is too extravagant, I understand why they want SOME kind of memorial.

Why don't we have the federal government fund a memorial, but on a somewhat smaller scale then?
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

How do we know what's appropriate? Memorials for terrorism victims is pretty new territory. At a minimum, I don't think it would hurt to let it settle for a decade or two. What's the hurry? The WWII Memorial waited 5 decades and I think it is better for it.

There's a real danger that we make garish federally-funded monstrosities reflecting little understanding of the full, considered context of the event.
              Last edited by DanS; April 25, 2006, 22:30.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

$US60,000,000??

that's a lot of memorial

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
                  "This monument is dedicated to all those who served, or provided help, or gave the ultimate sacrifice, or whatever, during all those wars and stuff. You will never be forgotten, whoever you were."
                  That's pretty good, can we use it?
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Planning on forgetting 11.9 anytime soon?
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                    X