at a cost of about $1.23 a day per sheep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at a cost of about $1.23 a day per sheep

As part of my job, I review "new media" on a regular basis... When I saw this, I almost died laughing. The picture is worth more than a thousand words...

The latest low-technology billboards along highways in the Netherlands are startling enough to prompt motorists to indulge in U-turns.

Or make that ewe-turns. These ads are walking, woolly flocks of bleating sheep. Early this month, Hotels.nl, a Dutch online reservations company, began displaying its corporate logo on royal blue waterproof blankets worn by sheep.

The company spends 1 euro, or about $1.23 a day, per sheep and sponsors about 144 sheep in flocks throughout the Netherlands. But commercially branded sheep roaming the bucolic meadows of the northern Netherlands have prompted a reaction.

On Saturday, the town of Skarsterlan began fining Hotels.nl 1,000 euros a day for putting branded blankets on sheep. Advertising on livestock violates the town's ban on advertising along the highways.

"My first reaction was a smile; it is very creative," said Bert Kuiper, the town's mayor. "My second reaction is that we have to stop this. If we start with sheep, then next it's the cows and horses."

Hotels.nl said that it would pay the fines, but that it planned to fight the ban in court. Since the advertising strategy started, sales by Hotels.nl have been up 15 percent, and so have visits to the company's Web site, said Miechel Nagel, chief executive of Hotels.nl, a four-year-old company based in Groningen. He plans to increase the number of sheep sporting the company's logo and is searching for locations where there are frequent traffic jams.

"As a company in modern times, you have to take some risks," Mr. Nagel said. "You cannot be everybody's friend. Let's say 25 percent are against this. But we can't have all the Dutch people as customers."

Hotels.nl did not originate the idea of sheep as billboards, but it was the first company here to use the technique. A Dutch horse breeder, André Groen, dreamed up the concept, and Easy Green Promotions, based in Leiden, created what it called "Lease a Sheep Shirt-Sponsoring."

With a goal of expanding to 25,000 branded sheep in the Netherlands, Jozef Mazereeuw runs the project for Easy Green Promotions, which is trying to strike deals with more farmers. He is promising the farmers a share of the fees paid by Hotels.nl.

Easy Green designed and owns the blankets, which include a layer of insulation washed in citronella to repel insects, and Velcro strips that allow the logos to be changed.

In the next few months, Mr. Mazereeuw said, Easy Green Promotions hoped to offer blankets for horses and cows — just as the mayor of Skarsterlan feared. But Mr. Mazereeuw has broader ambitions, too: he says he is negotiating with potential partners in France and Britain.
    Attached Files
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Interesting that fines are forthcoming. I know that the logic behind roadside ad bans includes keeping drivers concentrating onthe road. With this I will be looking for the first reports of drivers going off the road while reading an ad
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

What about when some businesses in the Red Light district of Amsterdam want to use this tactic...you don't really want a defenseless sheep wearing something that says, "Ewe know you want me."

Comment

To get the most bang for the buck, they oughta put these in New Zealand
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Leave Aunt Aggie's threads outta this!!!

I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

I remember seeing a cow blanket with an advert for beef emblazened on it. I can't remember when or where though.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

This would rock if ChickFilA did this.

Eat Mor Chikn!

The sheep should be wearing the "Beef, its what's for dinner." signs.

Comment

Bah.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

are you flirtting?
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    Bah.

-Arrian
                    Is that a German sheep?

Comment

I don't know what's weirder. Advertising on games such as Second Life, or advertising on sheep.
                      B♭3

Comment

Pharmaceutical companies are missing out!

Now is the time to advertise Penicillin on sheep! All the Dutch and passers by with a penchant for buggery are potential clients!

Comment

you put a wiki-link on the term "penicillin"? How stupid do you think we are?!

Comment

Maybe someone could have gotten confused, and taken penisillin from their dickter.
                            B♭3

Comment

Oh man, we are great!!
                              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                              And notifying the next of kin
                              Once again...

Comment

Working...
                              X