Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Dutch language be renamed into Hollish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Dutch language be renamed into Hollish?

Finland - Finnish
    Holland - Hollish (makes a lot more sense, doesn't it)

Discuss

Netherlandian?

Comment

It's called "Niederlandisch" in Germany, and IIRC it's "Nederlands" or something like that in Dutch.

It's just the English who have to sort it out. Call it Netherlandish or Nether German or something.

Comment

I'd imagine keeping the current word would serve German interests the best as "Dutch" apparently is derived from Duits = Deutsch

Comment

I think it should be renamed into hufbrghdevoordish.

Comment

Or should we, for coherence's sake, start calling Finnish "Sutch" (from suomi)?

Holland - Dutch
            Finland - Sutch

Comment

I think it should be called Belgian.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Re: Should the Dutch language be renamed into Hollish?

Originally posted by Aivo½so
                Finland - Finnish
                Holland - Hollish (makes a lot more sense, doesn't it)

Discuss
                France = Francish
                Italian = Italish
                Portugal = Portugish
                Blah

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  I think it should be called Belgian.

Isn't all that silly actually. "Netherlands" and "Belgium" used to be synonyms to denote the same territory.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

Isn't all that silly actually. "Netherlands" and "Belgium" used to be synonyms to denote the same territory.
                    It was?

Now that you mention it: where does 'Belgium' originate from?
                    Surely Flanders was part of the 'low countries' or 'nether lands', but I have never seen the low countries being refered to as 'belgian', ever.

To answer the OP: Dutch is derived from 'Diets', a language spoken in the northwestern part of the continent in the 14th/15th century IIRC. This would incorporate the netherlands, flanders and some of the western 'bundesländer' of Germany.
                    In related news, Holland is only a part of the netherlands (the western part), but as it was the most influential during the Golden Age, it became synonym for the Republic of the United Provinces in the 17th century and beyond. 'Hollands' is sort of a dialect.
                    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Weren't the Belgea a tribe in roman times? Think that's where it came from.

Comment

France - Frutch
                        Italy - Itch
                        Portugal - Potch

Comment

China = Chinch
                          Blah

Comment

What is the etymological relation of "Diets" to "Duits" and "Deutsch"?

Comment

Gallia est omnia divisa in partes tres, quorum unum incolunt Belgae, ceterum Aquitani...

Comment

Working...
                              X