Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

City of Champions - Can it Happen Again (sort of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City of Champions - Can it Happen Again (sort of)

In the 1935-36 Season The Detroit Tigers won the World Series, The Detroit Lions won the NFL Championship (No Super Bowl Back then) and the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup. (There was no Pro Basketball back then) No other City has ever done this (not to mention Joe Louis won the Heavyweight Title). Thus Detroit was labeled the City of Champions.

Well it's 2006 and no city has ever won the Stanley Cup and NBA Championship in the same year. The Pistons and Red Wings ended the seaon with the best record in both leagues (something that no city has ever done before)

Will Detroit do it again?

Vegas says 7-1 they won't. Dallas has an outside shot and I suppose New Jersey (if you wanna call that a city ) has an extreme long shot.

Anyways my personal opinion is the Pistons have about a 70% chance of winning and the Wings about 40% giving them a 28% chance of both doing it.

Any other opinions?

How can they be the City of Champions without winning the superbowl?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

'35-'36 was great for Detroit.

I think it's been going downhill ever since. Only one man can save Detroit now...
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        How can they be the City of Champions without winning the superbowl?

JM
        There was no Super Bpwl in 1935-36. The NFL Championship was ultimate Pro Football Game at that time.

Comment

im seeing the tigers today, hopefully theyll sweep the crap mariners. i might bring a broom
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

BAH!!!

Its all about College Hockey, and Wisconsin is the state of hockey!!! (they won both the mens and womens NCAA Hockey Titles)
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

NCAA Hockey Titles? That's about as worthwhile as Canadian University Basketball titles.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude

There was no Super Bpwl in 1935-36. The NFL Championship was ultimate Pro Football Game at that time.
                I mean for this year.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  NCAA Hockey Titles? That's about as worthwhile as Canadian University Basketball titles.
                  On the contrary... I'd say half the college hockey players are from Canada, probably some (if not most) of their best go to US colleges to play before going pro.

Its not like great US basketball players go to Canada to play basketball...
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Most of the best certainly do not go to NCAA teams. Some do to escape the pressure of Canadian hockey fans (eg, Crosby).
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

and the tigers win 3 in a row! woowoo
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Funny coincidence.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Edmonton really has no claim to that title. It's hilarious to me.

Comment

Most of the best certainly do not go to NCAA teams. Some do to escape the pressure of Canadian hockey fans (eg, Crosby).
                            Crosby played junior in QMJHL.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Edmonton really has no claim to that title. It's hilarious to me.
                              Let's count Grey cups and Stanley cups, shall we?

Besides, the saying dates from a lot earlier.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X