This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flubber

Its not an official stat as far as I know but its something they track of most TV telecasts. If a guy goes in on a breakaway thats a "chance" even if the puck goes off his stick during a deke and shot on goal is registered. It is somewhat subjective
    He already admitted it was his own eyeball.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
      I'm predicting.

(1) Detroit vs. (8) Edmonton
      Series begins Friday

Call me a homer, but this has upset written all over it. The Oilers gave better than they got during the regular season, and before the goalie situation worked itself out. Now Rollie has 1.78 GAA and .926 in the last 5 games going into the playoffs. The goalie situation is over. Meanwhile, the Oiler offence and defence have just gotten better.
      If there is going to be an upset, this will be the one.

Not only has Edmonton solved its goalie problem, but also Detroit's numbers are inflated because their division sucks the big one. It's easy to rack up 124 points when the Wings are playing so many games against Cleveland, St. Louis and Chicago.

The NE and NW divisions are far tougher.

I'm surprised that Asher is not hoping for an upset. It could set up a playoffs Battle of Alberta.
      Golfing since 67

Comment

As for Calgary' stats of all sorts, one must consider that Regher, Hamrlik and Warrener were all out of the lineup for periods of time. This is not unusual for a team but in assessing things its important to note that everyone on D is healthy right now ( which is good since I cringe when marchment plays)
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
          playoffs Battle of Alberta.
          :drool:
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

He already admitted it was his own eyeball.
            That doesn't make him right. I have seen them track "chances' on the TSN telecasts-- I don't know who's judgement they use but they will often say stuff like "* was outshot 14-9 but outchanced their opponent by a 6-2 margin"

If you actually watch hockey you must see such things
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I agree it does not make him right.

'Chances' are BS.

Edmonton is in the playoffs off a low chance shot from an unlikely sniper, and would have 10 more points were it for decent goaltending that stopped 5 more of just such shots.

A shot's a shot. It goes in, you score and you are happy if it was your guy shooting. If not, you cry.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

'Chances' are BS when you have a nervous rookie miss the open barn doors, but Modano drains it from 6 inches out from the goal line 15 feet left of the net.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

. It's easy to rack up 124 points when the Wings are playing so many games against Cleveland, St. Louis and Chicago.

The NE and NW divisions are far tougher.
                  While I agree with the sentiment, you get more credibility if you strike Cleveland and say Columbus . The Barons have been defunct a while now in the NHL although I beleiev they continue to have an AHL franchise

I'm surprised that Asher is not hoping for an upset. It could set up a playoffs Battle of Alberta.
                  hmm for a second round matchup, you also need dallas to lose as well as detroit so that calgary is the top seed and can get to play the bottom seed-- Otehrwise any meeting would be in round 3

Comment

'Chances' are BS when you have a nervous rookie miss the open barn doors, but Modano drains it from 6 inches out from the goal line 15 feet left of the net.
                    I agree its not a great stat but in a given game, it can often be more indicative of the flow of the game tahn shots on goal.

Your example is covered by another important stat . . . we call it "goals". A team can dominate in shots and chanced and still lose

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                      Otehrwise any meeting would be in round 3
                      yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

:drool:
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

I agree its not a great stat but in a given game, it can often be more indicative of the flow of the game tahn shots on goal.

Your example is covered by another important stat . . . we call it "goals". A team can dominate in shots and chanced and still lose
                        Goals > shots > chances
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

While I agree with the sentiment, you get more credibility if you strike Cleveland and say Columbus .
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

hmm for a second round matchup, you also need dallas to lose as well as detroit so that calgary is the top seed and can get to play the bottom seed-- Otehrwise any meeting would be in round 3
                            Dallas isn't exactly firing on all cylinders, but I'll take Turco over Theodore any day. But then the Oilers will take down Dallas and we'll have the Battle of Alberta in third round.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

• Did you lose some sort of bet, NYE?

And it's nice to see that the disease of Western Alienation seems to extend to HNIC.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Nope. Boom Boom rates respect, no matter what uniform he wore.

WTF you mean western alienation? Montreal was playing at home, in an important game, and they were actually in the playoffs hunt.

The CBC chased the Leafs to Philly to show one of 12 straight they needed to win.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X