Successful thread criterion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful thread criterion.

What does it take for a thread to be truly successful? Do you think there is a minimum number of posts? What about post/view ratio?

It seems successful threads have roughly 12% or more posts in relation to views. I think as that goes up, particularly in threads over 150 posts long, the thread is more successful.

thoughts?
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Successful threads usually have certain people not taking part, unless it was a troll - in which case the more nutters the better.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Views indicate interest in other's viewpoints, without the conviction to state their own. IMO.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

or inadequate motivation by the poster
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

A thread that copies and pastes material from a myspace.com homepage is a thread heading for failure.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Is the gas thread your first to go over 500 (as it likely seems to)?

Comment

I consider a thread successful, if Pekka posts in it.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Re: Successful thread criterion.

Originally posted by Kaak
                What does it take for a thread to be truly successful?
                Two sides - one obviously right, one unbelievably stubborn.

Comment

That's pretty good, Kuci.

Comment

can you guys not talk about one thing without bringing up another?

Comment

Re: Successful thread criterion.

Originally posted by Kaak
                      Do you think there is a minimum number of posts?
                      For a really successful thread I expect at least an opening post
                      Blah

Comment

A successful thread needs at least two nukes being sent to Comrade Tassadar.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I wonder what he is doing now...

I wonder if he has found any more communist athems..

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A successful thread stays on topic (as long as possible). If the first dozen posts are all on topic then we have a winner.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

A successful thread degenerates into name-calling within the first 10 posts. Someone's feelings should get hurt on the first page, and either Fez, Wiglaf or EvC should show up halfway through the second page in order to reinvigorate it. Other than that, some references to hockey, physics, math and Canadian politics are definite bonuses.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X