Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about those Iranians, anyway? What do you think they're up to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about those Iranians, anyway? What do you think they're up to?

Iran claims that its nuclear program peaceful and that they are not trying to develop nuclear weapons. The EU and US, say that they are. What do you think, and why?

This is not a what should be done about Iran thread. This is a what do you think Iran is doing thread. So please try to stay on topic.
    Yes, they have developed already or are developing nuclear weapons
    71.88%
    No, they just want to have clean burning uranium to power their homes
    6.25%
    I dunno
    9.38%
    They are using the nuclear debate to distract from their real intention to build the deadlier banana weapons
    12.50%
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

I like The Mercer Report.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

If I were them I would want nuclear weapons so that they wouldn't have to fear the US getting all up in their **** anymore.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

They probably do want nukes. They're probably about a decade away from actual weapons.

But they also want nuclear power. Since oil actually isn't an infinite resource. And besides, they can export more oil if they were able to rely more on nuclear power. We actually gave them assistance on this matter when Shah Pahlevi was in power,
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Under the rule of the current President, it looks like a show for Islamic use (challenging the saudi leadership for instance).
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Re: How about those Iranians, anyway? What do you think they're up to?

Originally posted by DaShi
            Iran claims that its nuclear program peaceful and that they are not trying to develop nuclear weapons. The EU and US, say that they are. What do you think, and why?
            They're protecting there huge amounts of sand, esp. after they saw they US stealing Iraq's sand.
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              I like The Mercer Report.
              Piss off! This is about which Iranian political comedy show is best: The Holy Show, or the Bozorgmehr Repehr.
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

The Repehr is obviously superior; Bozorgmehr does a spot-on impression of the crazed mullahs he's trying to parody. The Revolutionary Guards should be paying him a visit any time now.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I wonder if the US will put that proposed Iranian oil exchange out of action? It's on an island, after all. Easy target for the Marines.

Comment

They want nuclear energy so they can make bombs and intimidate their neighbors. The idea that they want to use nuclear expertise for nuclear power is wishful thinking. They have plenty of oil, all of which can be used to power their current electrical needs. Even if they wanted to export more the price of each barrel would be totally out of their hands making it a crap shoot.

Think of it this way. Iran has never been a nation of environmentalists or for that matter futurists. They don't care about the pollution given off from burning oil. They have enough stock to supply their plants for the foreseeable future. They don't care about supply problems 100 years from now.

Pure and simple, Iran doesn't need a nuke program for economical or environmental reasons. They need a nuke program for political reasons.

Comment

Sure they want nuclear weapons. Most of their neighbors have them, why not them?
                      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                        Most of their neighbors have them
                        They do? I count Pakistan as their only immediate neighbour with nukes, with Israel, Russia and India being in the general vacinity. Of all of those, I believe only Israel is of concern for the Iranians, and purely because the Iranians hate them.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Iran Enriches Uranium, Ex-Leader Says
                          AP - 30 minutes ago
                          TEHRAN, Iran - Iran has successfully enriched uranium for the first time, a major development in its quest to develop nuclear fuel, former President Hashemi Rafsanjani said Tuesday. Current President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad added that the country "will soon join the club of countries with nuclear technology." The U.N. Security Council has demanded that Iran stop all uranium enrichment activity by April 28. Iran has rejected the demand, saying it has a right to develop the process
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think they're after nuclear weapons too. And nuclear power.

They have ambitions as a world power, and world powers have nukes. Thus they want nukes.

Don't really think they'd do anything with them.

Whose insane enough to nuke Israel? The moment the Iranians let one fly the Israeli's will let them all fly back again, not too mention the yankees. Does anyone really doubt the Israeli' will shoot back? It'd be MAD to launch.

Comment

I just checked, they don't even have a word for neucular in Farsi.

But they do have 63 different words for "posturing", and 32 for "big stick".

Comment

Working...
                              X