Best 80s comedy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnT
    Was All in the Family back in the 70s? Mary Tyler Moore (1970s) show was great too, Ted Baxter kicks butt. I liked 3s Company when Don Knotts (1979) joined the cast. I liked the Jeffersons (1970s), but Good Times (1970s) got too preachy and lost the Dyno-Mite. Sherman Hemsley and the maid were a great combo to come out of that even greater combo of Archie and Meathead

80s that I can remember

WKRP in Cincinatti - 1970s

Barney Miller - 1970s

Taxi - 1970s

Cheers - 1980s!

Mash - 1970s

Seinfeld - 1990s

Well... 1 out of 11 ain't bad. Of the ones you listed, all except Cheers and Seinfeld were over by 1983.
    and all his choices were old fogey programs. . Only old people remember those shows. All I remember is my older brother had a picture of Loni Anderson on his wall. I never watched WKRP in Cincinatti. Barney Miller I found boring when my older brother was watching it. I guess I was too young to appreciate that. Taxi I found boring as well.

Mash I mainly watched on reruns. As it was over by 83 I think.

Comment

Of the ones you listed, all except Cheers and Seinfeld were over by 1983.
      Aside from the first 2 which I identified as 70s shows, which ones didn't make it into the 80s?

Comment

But only one is considered "80's". And Good Times didn't make it to the 80's, either.

Comment

Excluding reruns...
          WKRP's first episode was 9/18/78;
          WKRP's last episode was 4/21/82;
          Therefore it had more episodes and longer tenure in the 80s than the 70s.

Taxi's first episode was 9/12/78;
          Taxi's last episode was 6/15/83;
          Therefore it had more episodes and longer tenure in the 80s than the 70s.

If we only consider when a show first aired for the decade it belongs then the Simpsons would be only an 80s show. BBC refers to Taxi as an "80s sitcom" as do other places, so I don't see a big deal with anyone here calling them 80s.
          like me

Comment

If you want to split hairs, you also have to take into consideration that the year 1980 does, in fact, belong to the 1970s, making 1981 the first year of the 1980s - the same way in which the first year of the new millenium was 2001, not 2000.

One of my favourite things to argue when things get a bit dull.

Comment

Wikipedia, Dictionary.com and and other educational sources disagree, but even if you disagree with all of them my point still holds for Taxi.

The fact the Gregorian Calendar has no year zero is a good argument for the millenium celebration on 2001. However, that doesn't mean the decade from 1884-1893 cannot be referenced. In the same sense, 1970-1979 refering to "the seventies" doesn't ignore the nonexistance of the year zero, unlike a millenium celebration on the year 1000.

Comment

English comedy? Mr. Bean

US comedy? Married with children (reminded me of my family) and Sledgehammer (reminded me of work).
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

The 8th decade of the 20th century ran from 1 January 1971 till 31 December 1980, that's a fact. The 8th decade is commonly referred to as the seventies, and so this time period includes all of the year 1980. It's clear as crystal, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrodrew
                    Wikipedia, Dictionary.com and and other educational sources disagree, but even if you disagree with all of them my point still holds for Taxi.

The fact the Gregorian Calendar has no year zero is a good argument for the millenium celebration on 2001. However, that doesn't mean the decade from 1884-1893 cannot be referenced. In the same sense, 1970-1979 refering to "the seventies" doesn't ignore the nonexistance of the year zero, unlike a millenium celebration on the year 1000.
                    This thread is turning into a Nerd Seinfeld. Which, I guess, is a way to describe the OT.
                    Last edited by JohnT; April 9, 2006, 00:24.

Comment

Married With Children
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The 8th decade is commonly referred to as the seventies, and so this time period includes all of the year 1980.
                        Absolute Astronomy
                        Biocrawler Encyclopedia
                        Britannica Encyclopedia / Merriam-Webster Dictionary
                        Wikipedia

What sources refer to the 1970s as 1971-1980?

This thread is getting pretty funny.

In a dull way, of course.
                        Mission accomplished

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

that was 70's.
                          1977 to 1981.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                            Sledgehammer (reminded me of work).
                            I can remember staying over at my friend's house on friday nights just because his parents would let us stay up late enough to watch Sledgehammer. It was a terrible show but but 10 year old boys loved it.

Come to think of it the A-Team and The Great American Hero both fall into that catagory.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Just before something went wrong on Sledgehammer he always said "Trust me. I know what I'm doing." I use that same phrase with my wife and it drives her nuts. (Everytime I say it she says "Riiight. That's how we got 7 kids." )
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                                One of my favourite things to argue when things get a bit dull.
                                Nobody can possibly be that bored.

Now go bugger off to the zoo and check up on those Tassie Devils.
                                I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                                X