• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me who's that writin', John the Revelator
    wrote the book of the seven seals

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
      Anyone here ever buy a record from Alligator or Silvertone fer cryin' out loud???
      Alligator
      Start with Living Chicago Blues I-VI to get your bearings, then branch out from there.
      Old posters never die.
      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Also forgot to mention Peter Green of the original Fleetwood Mac. Often forgotten now that they started off as one of the best blues bands around.

Comment

Originally posted by cubbyphan1138
          Also forgot to mention Peter Green of the original Fleetwood Mac. Often forgotten now that they started off as one of the best blues bands around.
          Peter Green.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned BB King yet.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

We've been waiting for you.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
              Pretty pathetic display of white-boy guitarist love in this thread. Most of the guys mentioned are (were) rockers.

They are described as Blues-Rock. No-one was pretending that they invented the Blues.

Comment

Stevie Ray Vaughn
                B.B. King
                Buddy Guy
                W.C. Clark
                Robert Cray
                Bootsie Collins
                Jimmie Vaughn
                Muddy Waters
                Albert Collins

Just to name a few for me. Love the blues and have a tremendous Stevie Ray Vaughn collection. Even once had the opportunity to buy a guitar he had autographed, just didn't have the money at the time.

Saw Buddy Guy and my favorite Storyville at Austin City Limits. It's was amazing. Buddy Guy just puts anyone to shame he was smokin'. My old boss was on the board and had some tickets so me and my girls went and had a blast. To this day my middle daughter loves Buddy Guy. He comes here frequently and plays.
                Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat
                  Love the blues and have a tremendous Stevie Ray Vaughn collection. Even once had the opportunity to buy a guitar he had autographed, just didn't have the money at the time.
                  I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn twice. Once in Oklahoma in 1983 (he was the warm up band at a Moody Blues concert) and once before his accident playing with Jeff Beck in D.C.

Originally posted by Tiamat
                  To this day my middle daughter loves Buddy Guy.
                  You're raising 'em right.
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Are we including Zydeco music in this category?

Comment

NO.

But if we were, Zachary Richard would be my nominee.

FWIW -- I was at SRV's last gig, an Eric Clapton concert at Alpine Valley, WI in '93 iirc. An awesome show. The last number was a 20-minute jam on "Sweet Home Chicago" with Slowhand, Stevie Ray, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray and Jimmy Vaughn trading leads. Stevie was an amazing player, rightly given huge props by the blues community, both for his playing and for raising awareness of the art.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

John Lee Hooker - his club is right next to where I lived in SF. Of course, he died before I could go in there (must be 21)
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Sad day for the music world when SRV left he was the quenticential blues guitarist of our time. I have a very rare video of a concert of his filmed in Japan. My friend was on the road crew it's an incredible show. Also have a one of a kind T-shirt that has Stevie Ray on the front playing guitar and on the back (black shirt) in electric blue outline is the outline of SRV with a ligtning bolt coming out of the sky and above SRV it says "the heavens are a'rockin'"
                          Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                          Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                          Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                          You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Working...
                          X