Blues Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blues history.

Recording executives were driving through the South, looking for Robert Johnson. Johnson had been dead approximately 3 years.

On this trip, they came across Muddy Waters, who did the Plantation Album, recorded right there.
    Muddy went back to Chicago with these record people, and went on to become known as the Father of Chicago Blues.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I like Muddy Waters.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

PERV!
        What?

Comment

1.5 bends are tough, I have trouble hitting it with consistensy.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I discovered the blues scale on my own while tinkering around one summer adn now I use it to show off and make people think I ma awesome. Little do they know that am not much more than one scale and a bunch of power chords! Ha ha ha ha! It's my evil plot to get people to repsect me! Ha ha ha I'm going to go back in time and steal the presidency from Al Gore with my magic blues scale OF DOOM!

Seriously though just learning the scale can impress a lot of laymen.
            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Great topic.

SRV in my opinion is the greatest guitarist of all time. Jimmy Page is my favorite all around guitarist, but no one could play the blues like Stevie.

Even though this is a guitar thread, I also think we can't go without mentioning the greatest blue songwriter of all time, Willie Dixon.

Comment

Pretty pathetic display of white-boy guitarist love in this thread. Most of the guys mentioned are (were) rockers.

Not that SRV and Slowhand don't have some blues cred, but... Anyone here ever buy a record from Alligator or Silvertone fer cryin' out loud???

And yeah, of course I know that a lot of rock is blues-based. Lots of 60s Brit bands started off as blues-inspired. But copping the song structure and bending super-slinkies just ain't the same.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

John Mayall, father of British Blues.

I have Handy, Son House, Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, Big Bill Bloozy, on and on and on.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I won't dispute your pedigree, Sloww. After all, you're a Texan who's not promoting Stevie Ray.

But it's Broonzy...
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

What you're condeming is my typing skills. And I agree.

Big Bill Broonzy - Good Time Tonight

Comment

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Son Seals is my hidden treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                          1.5 bends are tough, I have trouble hitting it with consistensy.
                          Probably need different strings.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                            Pretty pathetic display of white-boy guitarist love in this thread. Most of the guys mentioned are (were) rockers.
                            I was wondering when the "bluer than thou" comments would start to appear.
                            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                            2004 Presidential Candidate
                            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

Probably need different strings.
                              I manage the 1 1/2 and double bends with 13 guage flatwounds. /workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                                I have trouble hitting it with consistensy.
                                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                                X