Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth getting an extended warranty on a budget laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ming
    Silly games
    More RAM
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

thanks all for the advice about profits to salesmen, zero sum games, and all that.

But, TBH, what i was really looking for was your experiences with laptops - how often do they break in 3 years of steady use, and how much does it tend to cost to repair?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Cost of repair for major malfunctions (i.e. screen replacment) typically exceeds purchase of a new model.

AS such repair warranties are useless. Replacement warranties are a different matter.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

But, TBH, what i was really looking for was your experiences with laptops - how often do they break in 3 years of steady use, and how much does it tend to cost to repair?
          My Toshiba served me well for 6 years now. I still use it to teach, working while in the bus... The battery is dead, though. But that's perfectly normal.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

On certain items, getting the "extended warranty" can be worth it, depending on the terms and conditions.

If it's just extending the manufacturer's warranty and providing no additional coverage, anyone will tell you not to buy it.

Some companies offer service plans that provide additional coverage, such as normal wear and tear, power surges, battery replacement, etc. On a $500 notebook, spending $140 for 2 years of course isn't worth it. But if you buy a $1500 laptop, I can see the value of the plan, especially with the battery replacement. Same thing with, say, plasma TVs, especially if you are going to be watching it quite a bit.

Extended warranties aren't worth it, but other types of service plans can be in my opinion.
            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Most laptops have about a 15-20% repair rate in the first year. I don't know what it is after that, but it is almost always worth getting an extended warranty on a laptop.

Desktops are much more reliable.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

I've had my Dell laptop for almost 6 years now. I'm typing on it right now and in all likelihood it is posts from this machine that have given most of you the (partially correct) impression that I am an a$$hole. I've only had one problem with it, which was that my CD drive crapped out very early on. It was still under warranty and Dell simply sent me a new drive to snap into the bay.

I agree with the consensus opinion btw, in most cases it isn't worth paying more for more coverage. Where that would be wrong is if the maching is expensive and the extra coverage isn't, or where the machine once in use will have more value than it does new (ie if you have important work on it and might lose a lot of time getting a replacement machine up to speed). I bought my girlfriend a desktop and bought a cheap extended service contract for it which has already paid for itself (imo) by way of me not having to deal with many of her computer problems.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

DON'T BUY IT! IT IS A RIP-OFF.

Apparently if you do your own homework and you really do need an extended cover, you can get it for a fraction of the cost yourself...

It is something that really needs to be clamped down on, I've even come across it sneaked into my bill 'in error' which has made me very displeased...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                  X