Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth getting an extended warranty on a budget laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth getting an extended warranty on a budget laptop?

We've just bought a new laptop PC, (Toshiba Satellite, 1.6 Ghz, 256 Meg) from CompUSA.

We havent opened it yet, and IIUC the salesguy said we could decide later whether to buy a service plan, as long as its unopened (i guess we'll have to bring it back to the store to show them.

So we're trying to decide if its worth it. For 2 years parts and labor they want about $140. IIUC this is normal wear and tear only, so if the damned thing falls and breaks thats not covered. OTOH they said they would replace the battery, which is significant value. The price of the laptop (after discounts) was only $500 to begin with.

What have your experiences been with laptops needing repairs, and the costs of said repairs?

Thanks in advance.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Don't buy extended warranties on anything.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Teh SlowHand speaketh teh truth!!!

...for once
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Do you plan to run XP on that thing? 256 MB is not enough. Buy some extra ram, instead.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

and IIUC the salesguy said we could decide later whether to buy a service plan,

Think about it, that's just about the only thing they will let decide later on...guess why.

For 2 years parts and labor they want about $140.

In two years time, you'll be able to buy the same laptop (second hand) for the same price.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Damn... I actually agree with Sloww

In almost EVERY case, and extended warranty is a rip off. If the product is actually not working right, it will be covered under the manufacturer warranty.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
              Do you plan to run XP on that thing? 256 MB is not enough. Buy some extra ram, instead.

Its expandable to 2 gig. We'll upgrade when we run into constraints. OTOH thats also an issue for the warranty - I want to be able to upgrade without voiding the warranty.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                Damn... I actually agree with Sloww

In almost EVERY case, and extended warranty is a rip off. If the product is actually not working right, it will be covered under the manufacturer warranty.
                I think thats 12 months limited warranty.

Comment

30 days only?

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    30 days only?

dansed

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      I'm with stupid... er, I mean slow.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Cheap laptops tend to go obsolete before they break. Forget the warranty and just remember to back up.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Teh Truth!
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Figure this you just bought a $499 laptop right. What is replacement cost of that same laptop 2 years out. For $140 today dollars thats going to be damn near the equivalent of a laptop in 2-3 years time.

Skip the warranty. Used tobe worth it when laptops were multi thousand dollar machines and you cracked a screen but today as cheap as they are not even worth considering.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

You need 256 memory just to run XP.
                              Don't run off and buy a gig of memory thinking more is always better. I have a wheezer that won't support over 512. Check manufacturer's site. A salesman won't point it out.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X