No announcement yet.

Religion in Society

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japher, what can I say, I put effort into my postings.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

OTBOT
      Monkey!!!

Comment

people should be allowed to follow their religions

this means not working on holy days

now yes, I agree, it might mean that they have to work other days...

and also, can't really do some jobs...

however, if the job can reasonably work with them, it should have to

(in other words if two people are needed on some day, and there are 3 people, and it is Jim's holy day, than the other two people should be the ones who take care of it (without regard to seniority))

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

1 is normal starting where I live. Until after your second year. Then it goes to 2. And at a company I used to work for, it would go to 3 weeks after 5 years with the company.

Comment

hypothetical: You are hiring for a position, interviews are set for the same day for all three... two guys show up, one doesn't and claims it was against his religion.

what do you do?
            Monkey!!!

Comment

for government it goes up to like 1/4 a year...

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                hypothetical: You are hiring for a position, interviews are set for the same day for all three... two guys show up, one doesn't and claims it was against his religion.

what do you do?
                not hire him because he isn't dependable.

Despite what jon said above. It's not feasible to have people working different days. Depending on the type of job of course. Because jobs require people to work together. Unless you are working a job you can do completely independent of other people. It's just not useful to have people work sunday because they can't work saturday. No useful work can be done on sunday.

Comment

that guy is suppose to be working as a team... he can't seem to do that. I do agree that once he had the job he could get away with this... but he doesn't have the job yet

I'm just sick of seeing society bend to religion. To me, it makes no sense.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I would NOT hire him because he did not let me knwo he can not come to the interview. He shoudl have noted beforehand when we arranged the interview date. If he decides to just not show up, he's gone.

If while arranging the meeting he says he can not come that day, because of religious things, OK if it's just that day. But if it's every week that same day, and that's a day when we need to work, I tell them the condition and that he would not fit in because of that.

Again, I see no problem.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

if you don't allow someone to follow their religion, you are bending them to yours..

the reason why people don't traditionally work on Sunday is because that is the day most Christians worship

so it is causing the Jews (Muslims I guess and select Christian groups like SDAs) to bend to the religion of others (namely majority Christian)

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        if you don't allow someone to follow their religion, you are bending them to yours..

the reason why people don't traditionally work on Sunday is because that is the day most Christians worship

so it is causing the Jews (Muslims I guess and select Christian groups like SDAs) to bend to the religion of others (namely majority Christian)

JM
                        It's just not like that where I live. I'm not christian, but if I was, I would have no choice but to work on sundays. And I do work sundays. Which sucks because football is my religion. .

Comment

Not true. Business is supposed to be non-religious. If you can't work that day, too bad. It's not discrimination. No one has THE RIGHT to get that job. As an employer, I decide who fits there the best. Clearly a person who can't work when we are supposed to does not fit, and I will not change the business just because of that.

It's not discrimination.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Trump had the choice if he wanted to not fire the person or not, he made his choice(or his staff did, whatever). No one forced him to keep him.

Comment

Guess what would happen if he did fire him.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

OTBOT rating
                                this is an overload

Don't sugarcoat it, Japher. Tell us how you feel.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X