April Fool's Day 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elok's post has been changed to appeal to a wider audience too
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Norwegian computer news site hardware.no today announced that the Norwegian company Opticom has invented a Blue-Ray competitor. It uses DVD technology, has 16 layers and ~75 GB.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Wizards of the Coast is a family of studios specializing in building role playing, trading card, and digital games for all genres of players.

My little poney rpg

Comment

In 1982 the Connecticut Gazette and Connecticut Compass, weekly newspapers serving the Old Lyme and Mystic areas, both announced that they were being purchased by Tass, the official news agency of the Soviet Union. On their front pages they declared that this was "the first expansion of the Soviet media giant outside of the Iron Curtain." The article also revealed that after Tass had purchased the Compass, its two publishers had both been killed by "simultaneous hunting accidents" in which they had shot each other in the back of the head with "standard-issue Soviet Army rifles." The announcement was bylined "By John Reed," and the new publisher, Vydonch U. Kissov, announced that the paper would be "thoroughly red." In response to the news, the offices of the Compass and the Gazette received calls offering condolences for the death of the publishers. One caller also informed them that he had long suspected them of harboring communist tendencies, and that it was only a matter of time before all the papers in the country were communist-controlled. When the publishers tried to explain that the article had been an April Fool's prank, the caller replied, "You expect me to believe a bunch of Commies?"

In 1979 London's Capital Radio announced that Operation Parallax would soon go into effect. This was a government plan to resynchronize the British calendar with the rest of the world. It was explained that ever since 1945 Britain had gradually become 48 hours ahead of all other countries because of the constant switching back and forth from British Summer Time. To remedy this situation, the British government had decided to cancel April 5 and 12 that year. Capital Radio received numerous calls as a result of this announcement. One employer wanted to know if she had to pay her employees for the missing days. Another woman was curious about what would happen to her birthday, which fell on one of the cancelled days.

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

its two publishers had both been killed by "simultaneous hunting accidents" in which they had shot each other in the back of the head with "standard-issue Soviet Army rifles."
              Sounds like something Dick Cheney would do.
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

HA HA.. it's going to be a woman!

No -- he was all man.

But not really my type -- back to the drawing board.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                  Wizards of the Coast is a family of studios specializing in building role playing, trading card, and digital games for all genres of players.

My little poney rpg
                  seriousy broken link, but the My Little Pony RPG rocks. I've already pre-ordered it's version of the player's handbook (Wizard's can't be wrong!)

Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I see the Blizzard announcement about World of Starcraft on the front page... it makes you wonder.

Comment

A good Starcraft 2 will be welcomed by all... the problem is that sequels nowadays don't tend to be very good.

I mean, I don't think there were many people who prefered Warcraft 1 over Warcraft 2, but I know a lot of people (me included) who didn't particularly like Warcraft 3...
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Free wine for all:The Norwegian newspaper "Bergens Tidende" announced in 1987 that the state alcohol monopoly had 10,000 litres of confiscated smuggler-wine. The inhabitants of Bergen were invited to the main store in town to receive their share of the goods, rather than spill good wine down the drain. That morning staff were met by about 200 men & women with bottles, buckets, and other suitable vessels for carrying the prized goods. Legislation in Norway means that alcohol is relatively expensive and has limited availability.
                        nice one
                        "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                        George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
                          A good Starcraft 2 will be welcomed by all... the problem is that sequels nowadays don't tend to be very good.

I mean, I don't think there were many people who prefered Warcraft 1 over Warcraft 2, but I know a lot of people (me included) who didn't particularly like Warcraft 3...
                          Diablo 2 was better than Diablo 1.

Comment

Working...
                          X