Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Man Accidentally Divorces Wife in Sleep

Originally posted by CerberusIV

Which just goes to prove that women are usually completely incapable of keeping their mouths shut no matter how good the reason.

This is nothing but the Truth of the Ancients. So it is written, so it is done.

Comment

Wow.
      "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
      Check out my Blog!

Comment

National Lampoon True Fact (August 1987)
        According to the San Diego Tribune, Usman Pirzada and his wife, Sameena, co-starred in a Pakistani television soap opera portraying a stormy marriage. In one episode, the script called on him to tell her he wants a divorce. According to Islamic law, "Once a man pronounces the word 'talaq' or says 'I divorce you' three times, the marriage is over."

Now an Islamic court has ruled that the words "once spoken - even as a joke--cannot be forgotten" and that since Usman spoke the words to his wife, they are divorced in real life as well as on television.

The laws further state that Usman cannot remarry Sameena unless she first "takes another husband and obtains a divorce from him." Meanwhile, they cannot live together, since that constitutes adultery, a criminal offense in Pakistan.

"The Pirzadas," said the report, "are distressed with the verdict."
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I've heard of sleep-walking but sleep-divorcing?!?

I believe Islamic law says he has to say it three times in front of witnesses. (and having witnesses in your bedroom is against Islamic law ) Now if they do it on TV as part of a plot, they can always cut scene to something else before he says it the third time and leave the completion as something implied and not actual.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by alva
            The religious leaders said that before remarrying, the couple would have to be apart for at least 100 days and that the wife, Sohela, would also have to spend a night with another man and then be divorced by him.

Wow, she's creative!
            How long did it take her to come up with that scheme?
            No, she did not come up with that. During my "classical arabic literature" lessons, I've read about one of the classical stories of "uzric" love. I don't remember it too well. I believe it was in Umayyad period, and it was the story that involved father putting himself out on the sun threatening his own life; he told his son he would keep doing it unless he divorces his wife. So he did, but he wanted to come back to her. Anyway, he could not mary her again until she got married to another guy and divorced again.
            So it's kind of standart and a long tradition, over thousand years old.
            Last edited by Heresson; March 29, 2006, 07:03.
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

I'm not saying she invented it.
              Just to "come up" with it...as in finding a way to sleep with someone else...getting rid of her old man.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

There should be a rent-a-husband service which employs eunuchs, for cases like these.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

I'm trying to figure out if it is these individuals who are stupid or if it is the religion which is stupid.
                  Who says it aint both?
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

I've heard of sleep-walking but sleep-divorcing?!?

I believe Islamic law says he has to say it three times in front of witnesses. (and having witnesses in your bedroom is against Islamic law ) .
                    Nope . You don't need witnesses to talaq .

And you need four ( or was it three ? ) witnesses to adultery for the charge of adultery to stick in Islamic court .

Originally posted by Vince278

Now if they do it on TV as part of a plot, they can always cut scene to something else before he says it the third time and leave the completion as something implied and not actual.

Comment

Working...
                    X