No announcement yet.

Germans most intelligent in Europe, Brits beats French

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar to Az: I don't believe in them, have never taken any "serious" one, but I think I'd score pretty damn high.

Mensa = bunch of losers

Comment

Could it be that Professor Lynn has biased his own results? What type of test was used? Paper and pencil IQ tests tend to be in reality closer to achievement tests than true intelligence potential tests. Were the tests in each country administered to represent a true sample, or might subtle biases in sampling have occurred? For instance, if the tests were given to high school students in some countries the tests might not have been taken by vocational students or by drop outs.

One might also point out that the countries tested don't have equal proportions of 'native' populations. The higher scoring nations IMHO tend to be the European nations with the proportionally smallest immigrant populations. Maybe that's why they tested higher. People tend to score better on tests given in their native languages.

Please note how low the Irish scored. There are more Irishmen living in Britain than in Ireland. Could this explain the results?

Remember the guy in America who claimed that the average black had an IQ of 70? Did anyone take the time to figure out what that meant? An IQ of 70 is at the demarcation of mild retardation. If a population had a mean IQ of 70 then half would be retarded. Of that half of the population about 3/5ths to 2/3rds would be in the IQ range of 70 to 55, merely mildly retarded. Some would be able to barely manage for themselves, but many would require supervision. The other 1/3rd to 2/5ths, whose IQs were less than 55 would be utterly helpless and would require institutionalization. That would translate into 5 million black people. It's pretty easy to check that out. There aren't that many black people in institutions caring for the retarded, so we can look upon the data with healthy skepticism.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Er, no. If a population had a *median* IQ of 70, you would expect about half and half. Averages are easily skewed by extreme values. If there were a bunch of incredibly dumb black guys out there (say, due to asbestos in a crowded majority-black neighborhood causing fetal defects), and the rest were about average in IQ, it might average out to seventy. Which is not to say that said "fact" isn't almost certainly false; the proportion of stupidity in a population seems to remain constant throughout all races in my experience. I'm just being insufferable about statistics.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I am an ethnic german (although bolivian)

I should be happy but I dont believe this.

How could France give birth to Descartes, Pascal, Evariste Galois and so many other geniuses with an iq of 94?

I would expect the frennch to be one of the smartest European Nations.
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            I feel like stirring some **** up.

Now what would happen is someone posted a similar survey/statistic showing intelligence among europeans, americans, south americans, asians, and africans? I'm thinking that would not be politically correct. So why is this okay then?

Now I put that out there, time to run away from that discussion.
            Get me banned

According to this chart, bushmen/khoisan/hottentos and native australians are in average borderline retards.

Made by

Richard Lynn who wrote

"Race Differences in Intelligence: An evolutionary analysis"

While Lynn has made valuable and original contributions to a number of psychometric issues, IQ&tWoN, and his recent work with sex differences, confirms that group differences in intelligence are clearly his forte, and since so few other researchers dare to touch the issue, the field is mostly wide open for discovery. Which brings me to Lynn's fifth recent and latest book, Race Differences in Intelligence, which Lynn himself describes as ". . . the first fully comprehensive review that has ever been made of the evidence on race differences in intelligence worldwide". (p. 2) In contrast to IQ&tWoN, RDiI does not contain a newly created thesis. This is not to say it is unoriginal, many of its ideas (and much of its copious data) certainly originates with Lynn himself, but the theory, its basic outline and many of the key references of this book were almost all first presented 15 years ago in Lynn's Mankind Quarterly article 'Race Differences in Intelligence: A Global Perspective' and its companion piece 'The Evolution of Racial Differences in Intelligence', while an even more basic version appeared in his 1978 chapter 'Ethnic and Racial Differences in Intelligence, International Comparisons' in the book Human Variation.

See discussion in genetics blog

I need a foot massage

Comment

I've seen some studies claiming that the average IQ - in the west - has risen about 5 - 10 points over the last 50 years.
              Given that we feed better, I wouldn't say that's entirely impossible.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I say we put Lynn in the middle of the Khalahari desert and see him wow those retarded Bushmen with his amazing survival skills.....

He should be dead in about a week.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                  Paper and pencil IQ tests tend to be in reality closer to achievement tests than true intelligence potential tests.
                  Doc

I have always wondered what the knowledge in English (or some other localised language) and number sequences have anything to do with measuring intelligence.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    Er, no. If a population had a *median* IQ of 70, you would expect about half and half. Averages are easily skewed by extreme values. If there were a bunch of incredibly dumb black guys out there (say, due to asbestos in a crowded majority-black neighborhood causing fetal defects), and the rest were about average in IQ, it might average out to seventy.
                    Uh, that's highly improbable.

Lets make it simple and use a small sample of 100 persons. Since you can't have the dumb ones having an IQ at 70 and still have an average of 70, lets make it 50 (that's serious stuff).

We get an equation (50x + 100(100-x))/100 = 70

Solving for x, we get 60. So you need 60 persons at an IQ of 50 to make the average IQ of 100 persons, assuming those are merely average (100), to be 70.

That's more than 50%. It will be even more if some of the other group are above average.

IQ is not like wealth, where one man could have billons and billions. So, on one hand, a very few very rich people can easily skew the average income number, the same can't be said about IQ scores.

That's assuming IQ scores mean something, which doesn't seem to be the case.
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      Using IQ to measure intelligence is like using a crooked ruler to measure length.
                      Yes, Martin Gardner should be used as the standard reference for intelligence.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well, I don't think the results of IQ studies in general can be completely disregarded. I don't think they tell us anything about "value" of individuals or nations, but it would be interesting to know what affects the results.

Education certainly does. People in Africa without it are bound to score less, despite claims that tests are culturally independent.

Then, there could be something in the upbringing. Cultures in which "it's God's will" type of resignation is prevalent are probably going to score lower than "can do" cultures.

Finally, there's genes. It's not politically correct to talk about it, so scientists generally avoid the subject, unwilling to risk their reputations. But I think we'll see a lot of progress in that area pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          Well, I don't think the results of IQ studies in general can be completely disregarded.
                          IQ measures something. No idea what, though.

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          Finally, there's genes. It's not politically correct to talk about it, so scientists generally avoid the subject, unwilling to risk their reputations. But I think we'll see a lot of progress in that area pretty soon.
                          The thing is, there are more difference between individuals than across "race" boundaries.

Furthermore, a lot of these countries are of the same "race."

Comment

U.S. IQ's by state:

1 New Hampshire 104
                            2 Wisconsin 103
                            3 Oregon 103
                            4 Massachusetts 103
                            5 Kansas 102
                            6 Colorado 102
                            7 Iowa 102
                            8 Nebraska 102
                            9 Montana 102
                            10 Oklahoma 102
                            11 North Dakota 102
                            12 Connecticut 102
                            13 Vermont 102
                            14 Minnesota 102
                            15 Washington 102
                            16 Illinois 102
                            17 Ohio 101
                            18 Missouri 101
                            19 Utah 101
                            20 Alaska 101
                            21 Wyoming 101
                            22 Maryland 101
                            23 Michigan 101
                            24 New York 101
                            25 Virginia 100
                            26 Arizona 100
                            27 Nevada 100
                            28 South Dakota 100
                            29 Idaho 100
                            30 West Virginia 100
                            31 Rhode Island 100
                            32 Maine 100
                            33 Pennsylvania 100
                            34 California 100
                            35 New Jersey 100
                            36 Indiana 99
                            37 Hawaii 99
                            38 Delaware 99
                            39 Florida 98
                            40 Arkansas 98
                            41 Texas 97
                            42 Tennessee 97
                            43 North Carolina 97
                            44 Georgia 97
                            45 Kentucky 97
                            46 Alabama 97
                            47 Louisiana 97
                            48 New Mexico 96
                            49 Washington DC 95
                            50 South Carolina 94
                            51 Mississippi 94
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

8 Nebraska 102
                              9 Montana 102
                              10 Oklahoma 102
                              11 North Dakota 102

Hard to believe, as those people are dumb enough to live in those states....
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

8 Nebraska 102
                                9 Montana 102
                                10 Oklahoma 102
                                11 North Dakota 102

Hard to believe, as those people are dumb enough to live in those states....

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                                X