Islam and double standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islam and double standards

A recent discussion prompted this post . Though it may be a bit stale by now , this has to do with how the Indian media reacted to the Danish cartoons , and how it reacted to another similar thing .

MF Husain is hailed as India's greatest artist . As can be made out from his name , he is a Muslim . He painted , once upon a time , a nude of Goddess Saraswati ( the Hindu Goddess of learning , literature , and the arts ) . He also painted a nude of Bharar Mata ( Mother India ) . Prominent Hindu organisations protested this depiction , because they considered it offensive . Their stance was that he could have depicted the same goddess in the accepted form - draped in a white garment . The mainstream media reported it with a heavy tilt against the Hindu organisations , and said that they were trying to "force their constipated brand of Hinduism on the rest of us" . The media did the same when there were protests over some other artist depicting a completely naked Radha and Krishna copulating ( Krishna is an incarnation of God ) ( that is , they attempted to damn the protesting Hindus by insinuation ) .

Now we come to the Danish cartoons controversy . When the Danish cartoons came onto the scene , not only did the media not reprint them , they also sided with the protestors . They invited opinions from Muslim intellectually who they knew would be against such depiction of the Prophet . They called for restraint on the part of the rest of world in deference and respect to the Muslim community . In short , they acted to undermine their own freedom to print what they wanted .

Now I have a question - why the double standard ? Why is it that when Hindus peacefully protest against what they consider offensive , it is held to be automatically bad , but when Muslims protest against the same thing , and in spite of their protests sometimes turning violent and people getting killed , excuses are found and justification is sought for their behaviour ? Why is the media thus biased ?

I doubt that the nude picture of Mother India suggested that all (or indeed any) Indian women are nymphomaniac prostitutes.

The Mohammed cartoon suggested that all or many Muslims are suicide bombers.

It amazes me why you can't see the difference.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Well , sir , many muslims are suicide bombers .
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Or were, at least. oho!

I find it hard to believe that the country that gave us the Kama Sutra would get offended by a little nudity, even in that context.

Comment

There is a clear double standard at work with the OP. There is a similiar double standard where an "artist" can "paint" a picture the Virgin Mary out of his own excrament. What made it worse was that the money to make this "painting" came from the national endowment for the arts; a federally funded organization to subsidize artists and to advance the creation of art in society.

I think it is a double standard that tax subsidized organizations can set out to offend Christians (How can taking a major part of the Christian religion and modeling it with human **** not be offensive?) yet we are supposed to walk on eggshells for muslims when a private Danish newspaper draws cartoons which are largely correct?
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            I doubt that the nude picture of Mother India suggested that all (or indeed any) Indian women are nymphomaniac prostitutes.

The Mohammed cartoon suggested that all or many Muslims are suicide bombers.

You missed the nude Goddess Saraswati bit , I see .

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
              Or were, at least. oho!

It's funny because thousands of people die!
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                Or were, at least. oho!

I find it hard to believe that the country that gave us the Kama Sutra would get offended by a little nudity, even in that context.

We believe in the separation of religion and bedroom - a principle the West would do well to emulate .

Thus , a religion is a religion , and a bedroom is a bedroom - don't mix them in so-called "art" .

Comment

Re: Islam and double standards

Originally posted by aneeshm
                  Why is the media thus biased ?
                  I doubt if many people here know much about this. Why do you think?
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

My guess would be the unhealthy culture of minority appeasement and political correctness that we have imported wholesale , to the great detriment of our intellectual life , from the West .

Comment

I agree, its a double standard.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

damn, I wish I still had the opportunity to open comedy copycat threads without being banned... :/
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Fear of escalated violence. Hindu's are less likely to start causing havoc than muslims. I blame Gandhi.

The day muslims start to use Gandhi's methods, we're screwed. Well, Israel is, atleast.
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

we are?

interesting......
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                              My guess would be the unhealthy culture of minority appeasement and political correctness that we have imported wholesale , to the great detriment of our intellectual life , from the West .
                              BRING BACK THE CASTE SYSTEM STAT!
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X