Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that make you ask "WTF?"

Shoelaces.

I have a pair of sneakers to exercise in and I have a pair to wear to work – both of them Nikes 'cause I like the things.

But what the **** is up with the laces nowadays? Did they change the shoe-tying process sometime in the past 35 years when I wasn’t looking and then never sent me the memo? Because that’s the only reason I can figure why, whenever I buy or try on a pair of shoes (or laces), I’m left with like a foot and-a-half worth of laces on each side.

I look at them feeling slightly foolish, like the old fart realizing he doesn’t know what half the **** on the remote even does. I wonder if I’m somehow abnormal – as if my size 10-medium foot was anything but, that it was actually so narrow that I was ending up with an unplanned-for extra amount of laces… or maybe, maybe it’s that my legs are short, in some bizarre way that is completely unnoticeable to anything or anyone other than my shoelaces. I wonder if it’s the shoe on the display – maybe they give them long laces because… hell, I don’t know “because that’s how shoes are”.

I only know that, in the past decade, when I’m done tightening my laces I invariably have laces extending all the way up above my shin. On each side. And I’m all confused and ****, thinking it doesn’t make a damn lick of sense, hating my poor, invisibly-abnormal feet and legs, wondering what the **** is up with the stupid things.

I mean, I can’t figure it out – what are you supposed to do with the extra laces? Do people tie their shoes differently now than when I was a kid? Is the extra 1.5 feet on each side supposed to … hell, I don’t know – is it supposed to be double-laced? Double-tied? I even once tried lacing the things through that loop above your Achilles tendon – I didn’t even need my wife to confirm the complete dorkiness of that idea.

It's not that I need to know how to solve the problem, I just can't figure out WTF they were thinking when they decided to put an extra 3 feet of laces in every Nike?

Spider Man 2

The train fight.

My wife and I gave a party a couple of weeks ago - "Favorite movie scenes". Somebody chose that scene (yeah, it was definitely one of the weaker selections) and that was the first time I noticed it. I had a great big WTF moment, one so compelling I actually rewound the scene so I could make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

Doc Ock(?) takes Spidey, throws him forward (so that Doc Ock is rapidly receding behind Spidey)... Spidey twists his body through the bridge so he hits neither man or metal, the extra momentum given to him by Doc Ock propelling him to... tackle Doc Ock, who is now in front of him.

WTF?

Comment

This

Updated: 10:11 p.m. EST (03:11 GMT), March 21, 2006
      Death could await Christian convert in Afghanistan

The United States is protesting to the Afghan government over the case of an Afghan man being prosecuted for converting from Islam to Christianity. Abdul Rahman was arrested last week and is now awaiting trial. The case led U.S. Rep. Tom Lantos to write a letter to Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai. "In a country where soldiers from all faiths, including Christianity, are dying in defense of your government, I find it outrageous that Mr. Rahman is being prosecuted and facing the death penalty for converting to Christianity," Lantos wrote.
      What?

Comment

I spent 30 minutes last night wondering what the E in Stefu's name is

I mean, STFU I get

by why the E

WTF?!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
          Thisquote:
          Updated: 10:11 p.m. EST (03:11 GMT), March 21, 2006
          Death could await Christian convert in Afghanistan

The United States is protesting to the Afghan government over the case of an Afghan man being prosecuted for converting from Islam to Christianity. Abdul Rahman was arrested last week and is now awaiting trial. The case led U.S. Rep. Tom Lantos to write a letter to Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai. "In a country where soldiers from all faiths, including Christianity, are dying in defense of your government, I find it outrageous that Mr. Rahman is being prosecuted and facing the death penalty for converting to Christianity," Lantos wrote.
          man this sucks

say what you will, but a person should have the right to worship their on choice
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            I spent 30 minutes last night wondering what the E in Stefu's name is

I mean, STFU I get

by why the E

WTF?!
            He's an honorary Canadian. The E stands for "eh!"
            What?

Comment

Shut The "Eh" F' Up?

That makes no sense! WTF?!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

NO! STFU!
                What?

Comment

NO! S hut T he F rench U p!
                  Look, let the French Speak, please, be kind

Comment

The fact that people like Paris Hilton exist and for some reason are celebrities.

WTF?
                    B♭3

Comment

Well, at least you didn't post a picture...
                      What?

Comment

nice xpost
                        What?

Comment

Democrats...

Wtf?!
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Well, at least you didn't post a picture...
                            W hiskey

T ango

F oxtrot
                            Attached Files

Comment

eh?
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X