Bush: Troops to Stay in Iraq for Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    Saddam has been painted as some kind of evil incarnate, but is he?

Maybe not by Chinese standards. By enlightened, Western standards, however, he most definitely was evil.
    Since the invasion, almost 300,000 people have died in Iraq, mostly from the complete collapse of services. About 30,000 have died in combat. That latter number is the number tha most people will admit to America being responsible for, even though we created the collapse in services as well.

We've run the country for three years. Saddam ran the country for 30. He killed 300,000 people over that time. That's 10,000 a year. Using the smaller number, we've killed 30,000 over three years. That's 10,000 a year.

How are the Iraqi people better off?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
      I agree thats all he needed to do and the fact that he didn't places him squarely in the camp of diplomatically inept. Doesn't change the fact that Clinton knowing left a turd behind that was never going to be passed.
      Yeah, he really did it so it'd screw the guy after him .

Clinton signed a treaty that he believed it. Whether or not the Senate was going to ratify it is irrelevent. If that is your definiton of "left a turd behind" to screw the next guy, every modern President is guilty, because they've all sign treaties that they knew probably wasn't going to pass.

To compare Clinton signing Kyoto, and then Bush coming in afterwards, and Bush saying we aren't going to make a decision on whether to bring troops home until the next administration is an incredibly ludicrous comparison that makes me wonder if you've taken leave of your sense.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Quite honestly I find your figures of 300000 since 2003 quite exaggerated and the figures during Sadaam's reign similarly deflated.

Sources?
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Clinton signed a treaty that he believed it. Whether or not the Senate was going to ratify it is irrelevent. If that is your definiton of "left a turd behind" to screw the next guy, every modern President is guilty, because they've all sign treaties that they knew probably wasn't going to pass.
          I believe I pretty much affirmed that view when I said every administration leaves ****burgers for the next. And likewise it does not apply only to modern era presidents.
          Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; March 24, 2006, 10:38.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I believe I pretty much affirmed that view when I said every administration leaves ****burgers for the next. And likewise it does not apply to modern era presidents.
              And I think its absolutely ludicrous to call Kyoto, or any other unratified treaty, as a '****burger' for the next President. If Bush wanted to, he didn't even have to deal with it. How is that in any way, shape, or form a '****burger'?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

To compare Clinton signing Kyoto, and then Bush coming in afterwards, and Bush saying we aren't going to make a decision on whether to bring troops home until the next administration is an incredibly ludicrous comparison that makes me wonder if you've taken leave of your sense.
                Considering this adminstration had said time and again fromthe beginning that this War on Terrorism, of which they inlcude the Iraqi theatre, is one that will encompass potentially generations, I don't see how people are all that surprised.

Heck for WWII FDR decided to run extra terms and then still left it for Truman to clean up after he croaked. Truman left Korea unfinished. LBJ left Vietnam for Nixon to clean up. Bush Sr left Iraq unfinished. Clinton left Bosnia unfinished with troops deployed. Why is W any different?

Comment

• I agree with Sid the Kid.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    http://www.counterpunch.com/chretien03142006.html
                    Sorry I don't see 300000 dead from lack of infrastructure there. What I see is the following

28000 - 38000 ( if you prefer the Iraqi body count figure)
                    2300 US
                    4000 Iraqi Police
                    16000 wounded US

I see the article from Counterpunch bounding the number at 180000 - 500000 that self admits it is highly criticized in certain circles and uses statistical techniques unique to this situation. Not what I would call that resounding acceptance but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                      I agree with Sid the Kid.
                      Color me shocked.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannubis

Ted, normally I can agree with most of your points of view. However, he wasn't cheering about dead US soldiers. He simply said he didn't care.

And quite frankly, me neither.

Three years ago 50 % of the American citizens wanted a war. Well, now you've got it. And like you said, which is very commendable btw, now you have to live with it.
                        I'm not referring to the post he made above where he said he didn't care.

I'm referring to his posts from the past. He brought up the past, well since he did I thought I would too.

He's cheered on the deaths of US soldiers in the past. This is a fact. Maybe he responded with, "oh well I just didn't care" to try and preempt that.
                        Last edited by Ted Striker; March 24, 2006, 10:08.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Heck for WWII FDR decided to run extra terms and then still left it for Truman to clean up after he croaked. Truman left Korea unfinished. LBJ left Vietnam for Nixon to clean up. Bush Sr left Iraq unfinished. Clinton left Bosnia unfinished with troops deployed. Why is W any different?

Oh lord. You are serious?

FDR DIED in office. I'm sure he wasn't planning that. Truman had this thing called the new term limit rule and couldn't wrap up Korea before he left. LBJ left Vietnam for Nixon because he was so incredibly unpopular he wasn't going to win. Bush Sr finished as much of Iraq as he wanted/could have. Clinton also had that whole 2 term thing and couldn't bring the situation to a end before he left.

In contrast, Bush has had plenty of time to change course, to do something different, to pull out, whatever. Yet, he says, we're doing the status quo and if someone else wants to come in and clean it up, they are welcome to it. Instead of not having enough time to have a satisfactory conclusion to the issue, Bush is, instead, not even trying to do so, saying his successor will do it.

The Presidents you mentioned above were attempting to end their crises. Bush is just saying, don't look at me! Look at the other guy!

You really can't see it?

Comment

Yeah, he really did it so it'd screw the guy after him .
                            And for the record whoever said there had to be intent or malign purpose?

Do you truly think any President including the twit W honestly wants to set the next President up to fail?

Comment

And for the record whoever said there had to be intent or malign purpose?
                              That'd be the point of a '****burger'. You leave it for the next guy to sort out and take the hit on.

Do you truly think any President including the twit W honestly wants to set the next President up to fail?

As opposed to themselves? Yes.

Comment

Heck for WWII FDR decided to run extra terms and then still left it for Truman to clean up after he croaked. Truman left Korea unfinished. LBJ left Vietnam for Nixon to clean up. Bush Sr left Iraq unfinished. Clinton left Bosnia unfinished with troops deployed. Why is W any different?

Oh lord. You are serious?
                                AS a heart attack.

FDR DIED in office. I'm sure he wasn't planning that.
                                So? Doesn't mean it was left for someone else to clean up and point of the matter was he kept Truman so in the dark that it bordered on negligence on FDR's part not to have reasonable succession planning.

Truman had this thing called the new term limit rule and couldn't wrap up Korea before he left.
                                Different than W in what regard? Hostilites ended and troops were there to pacify the region.

LBJ left Vietnam for Nixon because he was so incredibly unpopular he wasn't going to win.
                                So? He saw the handwriting on the wall knew he couldn't win and chickened out from running another term. Cowardice plain and simple. The complete abdication of responsibility if you ask me.

Bush Sr finished as much of Iraq as he wanted/could have.
                                Of all the people mentioned this one I agree upon. He clearly defined from the start the end goal and accompished it. Unfortuantely that end goal was short sighted and gave us what we have today or minimallly what we had prior to the Iraqi invasion.

Clinton also had that whole 2 term thing and couldn't bring the situation to a end before he left./
                                That sounds vague familiar. Where have I heard that before? Ohhhh yeah its what we say about W.

In contrast, Bush has had plenty of time to change course, to do something different, to pull out, whatever. Yet, he says, we're doing the status quo and if someone else wants to come in and clean it up, they are welcome to it. Instead of not having enough time to have a satisfactory conclusion to the issue, Bush is, instead, not even trying to do so, saying his successor will do it.
                                W is one of the worst communicating presidents bar none. But don't fall for this stay the course meaning new approaches are not being tried. Commanders in the field are reinventing the doctrines of war when it comes to guerilla insurgencies. The question is will they adapt quickly enough.

The Presidents you mentioned above were attempting to end their crises. Bush is just saying, don't look at me! Look at the other guy!
                                No, the other presidents committed the country to a course of action that had conseqeunces that far outlasted their Presidential terms. Requiring other presidents to take action or comitt to "staying the course" as well.

Simliarly for better or worse Bush has done the same.

You really can't see it?
                                Clear as the hand in front of my face.
                                Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; March 24, 2006, 10:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X