No announcement yet.

V for Vendetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the movie was fairly well done, though a little flat in some places and a little bludgeony (ooh, I like that word!) in others. As much as I'd like it to have the intended effect of making people question the politics of fear, I suspect it was too cartoony to really get that message through to anybody who wasn't already doing it.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

For what it's worth, "anarchy" was spoken once, right before "chaos." They totally missed the anarchy vs. chaos thing, but that was a subtle theme from Moore's story that wasn't necessary for the film. As for fascism, that doesn't mean nearly as much in 2006 as it did in 1981; we know that an older Winston Smith yelling at us from a big screen == fascism. Fascism doesn't need to be mentioned. It's a movie about terrorism and authoritarianism in general, because those are today's themes. Fascism doesn't need to be mentioned.

I thought the movie held together better as a narrative than the comic book (especially the early issues), and in many ways, it seems less naive than Moore and Lloyd's work, from a 2006 perspective--political commentary doesn't age well. It certainly did drag in the middle (especially the note from Valerie), and as movies do, it lacked the comic's depth. It was a really enjoyable 133 minutes though. I think the creators did a solid job, in a genre that gets mistreated more often than not.

SP
      I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

I watcehd it twice. Once two nights ago, and then last night because the friend I was with wanted to see it, and we arrived just in time.

I realized that there is techincally a scene in the movie where you can see the face of V.

Spoiler:
        spoilered just for good measure.
        So, during the flashback scene where excerpts of the Coroner's diary are being read, they show the people standing in line to get their shots of Vitavegamin. Assuming that the militaristic compund would keep these prisoners in the order that they took them from their cells, this works. Watch as the shot scans. You'll see some tall blondish looking guy, then the girl who wrote the toilet paper biopic, and then a black guy.
        V is not black(ugly hands scene), and isn't the girl who wrote the notes. Though she was in the cell next to him when she delivered the notes to him. V is the guy standing in front of her in the Vitavegamin lineup.

So the thing I can't get, is V suppsoed to be blind? Maybe there is a blind justice thing there? The doc talks about his
        Spoiler:
        lack of eye after teh explosion
        and when he appears as
        Spoiler:
        rockwood he has a blind man's cane
        not to mention
        Spoiler:
        you never see his eyes throughout the movie but then how in the hell does he do everything else like setting up the dominoes. You can't tell me he just freehanded that. Even a domino savant would need a diagram to look at once

Finally. I know Alan Moore, the totally awesome author of the Graphic Novel, disowned the project after it was made into a movie and blah blah blah. But the long haired bearded guy with the bulbous eyes and cigarette in the bar scenes looks a lot like Alan Moore on welfare.
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

He's a superhero. Who needs eyes? Neo did just fine without them. So did Paul Atreides.

SP

Comment

So did Ray Charles but you're too much of a racist cracker to mention him.

I think maybe the story is deliberately overdone. Like a lot of that crap is impossible and maybe that's the way Moore wrote it. "Artists use lises to tell the truth". So maybe by including that in the storyline Moore was able to pull some weird crap like putting her in prison fro almost a year because he is himself telling a lie.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Eitehr way, I'm re-reading 'Watchmen' after seeing this.

MOORE IS GOD! (With Zappa at his right hand)

Comment

Watchmen But there´s no way in hell they´ll make a movie to do that masterpiece justice.
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                I had not been aware Ray Charles was a super hero *.

* Super-hero is a trademark of DC and Marvel comics any use for profit will be promptly met with due litigation.

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                  Neo was black, they just dyed him that colour so they wouldn't have to have a black hero.

SP

Comment

Yeah. and morpehus actually didn't exist but they made him real because Chuck Palahniuk would have sued if they stole that whole "
                    Spoiler:
                    the leader is actually you and you're a schizo
                    " schtick.

SP

Comment

You're not SP!

SP

Comment

Working...
                      X