X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V for Vendetta

from me

anyone else seen it?

nice to see a big budget movie made that is even the slightest bit thought provoking.

good pacing, never felt bored. decent length, but not too long. not a lot of gore until near the end.

only had to suspend disbelief a handful of times through the movie (evie working at the tv station, power to V's lair, his invulnerability)

And one cliche I was waiting for never came to pass, thankfully, but that is spoiler territory...

pseudo-revolutionary movies
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I heard that it suffered from a lot of the pseudo-depth that so weakened the second two Matrix films.
      "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

shocking admission. I still have not seen the Matrix. I think I actually have it on tape, still haven't gotten aroudn to watching it. .

The review from this movie, actually said it got away from a lot of the problems of the last 2 matrix movies.

Comment

It´s way better than the two Matrix-sequels. And the politics are for real. It´s all beautifully summarized in the phrase "People shouldn´t be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people".

But it had other things going for it apart from the politics, it was a good adaptation of the comic. It managed to keep the mood and visual imagery. And it was never boring
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Don't know when I will see it, but the reviews have been OK. The mask looks silly thought.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

teh heathen!
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

It´s a Guy Fawkes mask. They look like that
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                  I heard that it suffered from a lot of the pseudo-depth that so weakened the second two Matrix films.
                  :shrug: It's pretty good ratings.

Following world war, London is a police state occupied by a fascist government, and a vigilante known only as V (Hugo Weaving) uses terrorist tactics to fight the oppressors of the world in which he now lives. When V saves a young woman named Evey (Natalie Portman) from the secret police, he discovers an ally in his fight against England's oppressors.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I liked it. They actually toned down the "pseudo-depth" from the comic, IMO. And while the matrix-esque fight scene was dumb, it was dumb in a good way.
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                      Psuedo-depth? I would like to see an example in Vendetta, what that refers to.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        The whole business where Evey is in "prison" could be construed as "pseudo-depth", though seeing as how that was a pivotal part of the graphic novel I hardly think that the movie adaptation of said graphic novel should be criticized for including it.

Ditto the whole business with wearing the Guy Fawkes mask. "But it looks silly!" Jump up your butt.

Comment

I suppose so, but...

Spoiler:
                          What was done to Evey reminded me of the old tear 'em down then rebuild them in your image that is like basic army training or cult indoctrination, in other words, not something completely outside of reality, unlike the matrix

Comment

Spoiler:
                            Yes, but the extent to which they took it in the graphic novel was extreme to the point of pretty much being unplausible. C'mon, you expect us to believe that V had a replica cell block built on the off chance that he ever found a protege, despite his explicitly saying that he'd never expected to find a protege? Of course, the entire graphic novel is unplausible, but so is 1984 and Farenheit 451 -- "unplausible" does not mean "****e," but you'll always find naysayers who think otherwise.

Comment

True, I haven't read the graphic novel. Wonder where I could pick that up.

I would have liked to have seen where exactly his hideout was in London.

Comment

Working...
                              X