Google News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google News

just plain sucks as a source for "variety" of articles.

How many Reuters or Associated Press sourced articles do you want to read? If just one, read your local papers if between 100 and 1000 than surf Google News.

So is there any alternative that will let me, when I write -reuters -ap, to actually exclude all the articles that contain those strings?!?

It seems as if Google made some deal with owners those sourced repetitions that prevents such strings (AP, reuters) from being excluded in news search.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comprehensive up-to-date news coverage, aggregated from sources all over the world by Google News.

See under "without the words."

Your best bet for variety is probably Digg or Memeorandum. However, I don't know that either of those sites have exclusion.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      Comprehensive up-to-date news coverage, aggregated from sources all over the world by Google News.

See under "without the words."

Your best bet for variety is probably Digg or Memeorandum. However, I don't know that either of those sites have exclusion.
      I know try, to put reuters in there and see the results

it's the same
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

When I typed in "reuters holland" (the first random word I could think of that could generate some news items), Google News changed it to "source:reuters holland".

I'd guess that that means you can also do "-source:reuters -source:ap whatever you're searching for"
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

now that sounds interesting

Comment

Reuters seems to work... but AP has a nasty trick which is that they have several different "name" like AP, The Associated Press, Associated Press...

dunno I will have to play more with this, but most of the news articles are sourced from one of those two agencies, and if you want to find something "genuine" it is really a pain.

Comment

Ah , yeah, I wasn't entirely sure what you meant there. Well, it's a start...
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I agree with the OP. For me the problem is Xinhua and all the other Red Chinese news sources. I'm looking for news, not propoganda.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

That's why you watch Fox News

pwn3d!
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                  X