Clear All

• Current account deficit of the US in 2005

6.4% of GDP

Wow.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

We haven't maxed out the national Visa card yet thought....

Only the Mastercard.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

rofl
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
        We haven't maxed out the national Visa card yet thought....

Only the Mastercard.

And please -- no one tell Bush that there is a national Discover card lying around somewhere in the White House ok? HE DOESN'T NEED TO KNOW!!
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Impressive.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Cool, we can use the Visa to pay off the Mastercard.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'd like to know how that compares when considering (both pos. and neg.) only people with incomes < 100k a year ...

Honestly, 6.4% doesn't sound that bad. If I only owed 6.4% of my annual income, I'd be happy
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                I'd like to know how that compares when considering (both pos. and neg.) only people with incomes < 100k a year ...

Honestly, 6.4% doesn't sound that bad. If I only owed 6.4% of my annual income, I'd be happy
                That's not owing 6.4% of your annual income. That's spending 6.4% more than you earn, just over the past year.

The total amount the US owes right now (net international investment position) is probably gaining on 32-34%. It was at 24% at year-end 2003. If currencies didn't fluctuate, market valuations of equities didn't change and GDP remained constant then all you would have to do to figure out NIIP each year would be to add the current account balance to last year's total. Unfortunately, those factors aren't constant, so figuring out the NIIP is a monumental task (much more difficult than figuring out current account balance)
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

That's not owing 6.4% of your annual income. That's spending 6.4% more than you earn, just over the past year.

The total amount the US owes right now (net international investment position) is probably gaining on 32-34%. It was at 24% at year-end 2003. If currencies didn't fluctuate, market valuations of equities didn't change and GDP remained constant then all you would have to do to figure out NIIP each year would be to add the current account balance to last year's total. Unfortunately, those factors aren't constant, so figuring out the NIIP is a monumental task (much more difficult than figuring out current account balance)
                  Ah, good point, i'd forgotten what CAD meant.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

hmm, if I look at my life, my current account deficit for 2005 would be on the order of 50%

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

That's because you're insane.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Why is the Dollar still rallying then?

I think the primary reason why the CAD is so large is because US companies manufacture everything overseas, but bank all their profits in the US.

Apple doesn't manufacture the iPods in the US. It is subcontracted to some Taiwanese outfits (Honhai Precision among them) who survive on razor-thin profit margins. Meanwhile, Apple HAS TO IMPORT the iPods for sale in the US and pockets insane amount of profits. During last 2 years, Apple's cash on its balance sheet has doubled from $5 Billion to almost $10 Billion, while increasing its R&D and marketing expenses by another 60% (That's job creation!).

Where does Apple store its profits then? I doubt the money will be in Bank of China, or Mitsubishi Bank, or HBC, or Royal Bank of Canada, or Deutsche Bank, or UBS. The money will most likely be banked in an US outfit, such as Citigroup, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc...

Who gets the best deal out of the whole process?

Comment

The corporate leaders?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            That's because you're insane.
                            well, maybe

I think that I just don't like living off of my small salary

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Shareholders, including baby boomers with fat pension plans and retirees.

US financial institutions. Their assets are growing, and assets are the most important thing to a bank.

US Government. They get cheap loans because a huge portion of the profits are invested in US TREASURIES!

This process will not break down and stay beneficial as long as US businesses can generate returns matching or exceeding investors' expectations. I sometimes get the feeling that the world is willing to lend money to the US to find solutions on some very nasty problems, with one being about how to fund retirement of an aging population.

Comment

Working...
                              X