No announcement yet.

Soyuz blows up (video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some web sites put the Hiroshima bomb at more like 12.5 kt. Nagasaki was the one in the 20 kt range.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Eh. 3 is still less than 1/4 of 12.5, so ranges are less than half that of Hiroshima
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't know, dude. I'll try to find some more backup for the expected blast range for the Saturn V. Maybe I have misrepresented the expected damage.

Lest there be any misunderstanding, this is what Hiroshima looked like after the bombing...
        Attached Files
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And? The range of total destruction appears to be about 8 blocks = 1mile

That's what I've been saying.

4 miles from Hiroshima and absolutely nobody died. If you were inside you might have noticed the windows rattle a little bit.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

To be fair, 8 blocks is all that is shown in the picture.

Comment

You should also note that most of the damage done to structures in Hiroshima outside the severe overpressure zone of ~1 mile was by the firestorm which ensued...
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Considering that in a nuclear explosion temepratures reaches many millions of degrees and in any chemical explosion temperatures only reaches thousands, the effects over materials, shock wave and emmitted radiation are not comparable. Apples and oranges.
                Last edited by Thorgal; March 13, 2006, 16:08.
                Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

a) The scale at which you could properly say the temperature of a Hiroshima bomb was measured in millions of degrees was on the order of centimeters. The fireballs will be similar, although of course not identical

b) Chemical explosions happen on longer timescales than do nuclear explosions. If anything, a chemical explosion will do less damage for an equivalent amount of energy released, since that energy will be released over a longer period of time

These two points mean that nuclear detonations provide useful upper bounds on the scale of damage cause by chemical explosions.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Here is an article today which examines a study about just such a Saturn V launch pad explosion...

Comment

Interesting read DanS. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

anyone have any info about when this occured so I can look up the scientific facts about why this explosion occurred?

It doesn't seem like it was recent, or I would have heard about it on the news. And it seems like I may have seen this same video posted here a few years ago.

Comment

Note: all the people on the video speak English. You sure that's in Russia and not in Brazil? they had an accident there that killed 19 people.

Comment

ESA, I thought this was the one that blew up above the launch pad in Africa.

edit: I guess I could have clicked the link in the second post of the thread. That explains alot. but I do remember one failure from the launch pad in Africa.

Comment

this is the one I was thinking of. It was more than a few years ago. how time flies.

here's video of that explosion for you guys who like explosions.

Comment

I hate quicktime.

Comment

Working...
                                X