Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soyuz blows up (video)

Warning, this is a 120 MB file...

Pretty damn spectacular fireworks. The ESA observers have a knack for words.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Here's the article about the failure. Probably that guy who said "Noooo!!" in a despairing voice had decades of his work blow up in front of his eyes.

Last edited by DanS; March 12, 2006, 17:24.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Awesome video!!
      bleh

Comment

Did those videos cut out as the people ran away? The one guy said they ran for miles but the video certainly wasn't that long...

Comment

I don't think they ran for miles. I think they ran a couple hundred feet and then hit the ground out of instinct.

I'm sure it was quite terrifying, if only for a brief moment. If a Saturn V had done something similar, a 4 mile radius would have been obliterated.
          Last edited by DanS; March 12, 2006, 23:59.

Comment

I take it that this was an unmanned flight, or it would have been major world news.

These folks were filming for the European Space Agency? The cameramen couldn't keep either camera on the rocket. Couldn't the ESA have found professionals to take its movies?

It appeared that the observers were shielded from the blast by some buildings. One of the cameras appeared to have been stationed outside of an ordinary office building. The building didn't appear to have been designed for blast resistence at all, so they must have been a fairly long distance from the launch site.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

You're right, it was an unmanned flight. At least two of the cameras were ESA. Not sure about the first one. I don't know whether an official ESA video would have been released to the net...

The observers would have been pretty close to the launch. 2-3 miles is my guess.

Comment

Whooohooo! Watch that baby burn!
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  If a Saturn V had done something similar, a 4 mile radius would have been obliterated.
                  4 miles? Sounds a little excessive an estimate

Comment

If a Saturn V had done something similar, a 4 mile radius would have been obliterated.

Horse****.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Damnit, beaten to the punch by Zylka
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I get that the total chemical energy contained in the propellants of a SaturnV is something less than the equivalent of 10 kt TNT

Given that the range of lethality for the 20 kt TNT equivalent Hiroshima blast was something like 1 mile, your figure is overstated...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          I get that the total chemical energy contained in the propellants of a SaturnV is something less than the equivalent of 10 kt TNT

Given that the range of lethality for the 20 kt TNT equivalent Hiroshima blast was something like 1 mile, your figure is overstated...
                          jeezus christ! each saturn V packed and used half the energy of a nuclear bomb?

Comment

Probably more like 1/3

10 kt is a slight overestimate, I think

It shouldn't really be surprising; at launch, the Saturn V weighed over 6000 tons, most of which was fuel and oxidizer...

EDIT: actually, you should cut my previous estimates in half. Saturn V weighed ~3000 tons. The heat of combustion of its major fuel component (RP-1, a highly-refined kerosene) is slightly more than 3 times that of TNT. However, RP-1 requires an oxidizer in the ratio 2.25 to 1 or so, giving the Saturn V overall approximately the same chemical energy density as TNT. So call it 3 kt TNT equivalent = 1/6 of Hiroshima. Lethality range scales as something like E^1/2, meaning that you would probably have survived a Saturn V crash-and-burn from half a mile. You wouldn't have been very happy though. 1st-2nd degree burns over every exposed surface. Blindness (possibly temporary; depends how quickly you managed to close your eyes)
                            Last edited by KrazyHorse; March 13, 2006, 03:45.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That was amazing to watch.

Althought the commentary from the last guy filming sounded more like it was coming from a novice actor in need of some serious directing. It was almost as bad as the launch attempt itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X