• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Tom Fox

Slain U.S. hostage was tortured, shot: police
    Last Updated Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:18:11 EST
    CBC News

American hostage Tom Fox, whose body was found in western Baghdad, was tortured and shot, Iraqi police said on Saturday.

Fox, 54, was one of four Christian peace activists kidnapped in Baghdad almost four months ago.

Iraqi police found the body near a railway line late Thursday afternoon. The U.S. State Department said on Friday it had notified Fox's family in Virginia to break the news of his death.

His hands and feet were bound and he had gunshot wounds to the head and chest, said police. There were also bruises on his head and cuts on his body, which was wrapped in a blanket.

There has been no news on the fate of fellow kidnapped activists Briton Norman Kember and Canadians James Loney and Harmeet Sooden.

The previously unknown group, Swords of Righteousness Brigades, claimed responsibility for kidnapping the four peace workers in Baghdad on Nov. 26.

Fox, a Quaker and father of two, was notably absent from a video that aired earlier in the week showing three of the men.

The group sponsoring the activists, the Christian Peacemaker Teams, still has five people in Iraq. The group says it will continue its work despite the risks.

"We reject kidnapping and hostage-taking wholesale," CPT spokesperson Isabella Bates said on Saturday. "If any of us are taken hostage, absolutely no ransom will be paid."

Christian Peacemaker Teams has had a presence in Iraq since October 2002 and has been trying to focus attention on the issue of detainee abuses.

Bates, speaking to reporters in Maclean, Virginia, said while the actions of the kidnappers are wrong, CPT is against demonizing them. She said the group will work to "preserve what is human in all of us and so offer glimpses of hope in a dark time."

A member of the Christian Peacemaker Teams holds a sign for Tom Fox during a memorial in the West Bank town of Hebron on March 11. (AP photo)

I think that there should be some sort of educational video for terrorists. Kidnapping a Quaker who is part of a group called the "Christian Peacemaker Teams" might not be very productive...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Very sad, but for God's sake why go to Iraq in the first place unless you're part of a larger civilian organization like IRC or Doctors Without Borders? And as a Christian in a very hostile anti-Christian environment? It's admirable what they wanted to do, but do it through sponsoring larger efforts or volunteer to them, don't go as a small group of easy targets just begging to be picked off.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Re: R.I.P. Tom Fox

RIP

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      I think that there should be some sort of educational video for terrorists. Kidnapping a Quaker who is part of a group called the "Christian Peacemaker Teams" might not be very productive...
      To be a little offensive, they might have been so annoyed by his peace speaking that they decided to get rid of him since it was in total opposition to what they wanted.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The kidnapping was almost certainly not anti-Christian. Christians tend to be targetted only when they're doing missionary work. They were targetted for being Westerners, and Fox was probably singled out and killed because he was American. The Briton will go next, the 2 Canadians last. There's a pretty good chance that the Canadians will get out alive. I give the British dude slightly better than 50-50
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
          why go to Iraq

IMO, anyone going there might as well consider themselves dead the second you step off the plane... you are the walking dead

if you happen to make it back, you are lucky

if you get taken hostage... resist... don't let them put you on video... don't let them make a public spectacle of you... the first chance you get, the first guy that drops his guard, grab his AK, kill as many of them as you can... set off a bomb if you can... take as many of those ****ers with you as possible

even if you don't kill any of them, better to just die right away then to let them video tape you and be a hostage, then get killed anyways

RIP
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

IMO, anyone going there might as well consider themselves dead the second you step off the plane... you are the walking dead

if you happen to make it back, you are lucky

if you get taken hostage... resist... don't let them put you on video... don't let them make a public spectacle of you... the first chance you get, the first guy that drops his guard, grab his AK, kill as many of them as you can... set off a bomb if you can... take as many of those ****ers with you as possible

even if you don't kill any of them, better to just die right away then to let them video tape you and be a hostage, then get killed anyways

RIP
            That would probably be the normal reaction by a sane person, but this guy was after all a quaker.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

That would probably be the normal reaction by a sane person, but this guy was after all a quaker.
              well, it's easy for me to say things like that, but fear paralyzes people... I'd like to think that I'd be able to react the way I described in such a situation, but I don't really know for sure. I really do think I could do it.

In the end, it's all about taking a deep breath, and just saying, "**** it"
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

well, it's easy for me to say things like that, but fear paralyzes people... I'd like to think that I'd be able to react the way I described in such a situation, but I don't really know for sure. I really do think I could do it.

Nope, it isn't fear, it's survival. Acting in videos etc isn't a question of agreeing or like, but simply survival.

Noone knows what they really will do before they are in a situation - me ? I just hope that I will do what I think is the right thing to do.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Quakers are pacifists. Like, as in "it's better to be killed than kill" pacifists.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Quakers are pacifists. Like, as in "it's better to be killed than kill" pacifists.
                    Yes, I'm aware of that.

Personally, I don't believe there are any true pacifists. Everyone can be driven to violence. It's human nature. It's just a question of how hard you have to push someone. What buttons to push.

For some, it might not even be violence... or violence against their families.

But everyone is capable of breaking under the right amount and right kind of pressure.

Blackcat: Fear is a survival trait.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Blackcat: Fear is a survival trait.
                      Not if you have the right faith

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Well he was brave to go there, you don't see anyone going there without being armed. I guess he trusted that every person is good inside, and come in peace, they wouldn't be harmed. Unfortunately, he was wrong. People are crap. And here's yet another proof of it.

I'm usually fairly pragmatic, but I wouldn't mind to order few extra rounds of shellings tonight. Provided the target is solid.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Quakers

I have always had a lot of respect for them

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I guess he trusted that every person is good inside, and come in peace, they wouldn't be harmed

Or he thought that the good he would do was worth his life.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Not if you have the right faith
                              well... who says they will be the ones to survive

(in the long run)
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...